Nate Dogg

Rapper 'Friends' Abandoned Him

... Ex-Associate Claims

2/10/2012 4:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0209_NATE_dogg_getty_ex
Nate Dogg
's world-famous rap friends turned their backs on the singer when he needed them most ... refusing to pitch in one cent towards his medical costs ... this according Nate's former associate, who's on the hook for the $300k bill.

TMZ broke the story ... Nate's estate AND a record label owner named David Michery ... were sued by the medical facility where Nate lived from 2008 to 2010 after suffering a massive stroke. A judge recently ruled in favor of the facility, which means David needs to pay up ... or else.

David tells TMZ ... he DID vouch for the bill back in 2010 ... but only because nobody else would step up to the plate ... "none of Nate's so-called rapper friends."

David says medical personnel told him it was imperative that Nate receive treatment at the CareMeridian center at the time ... because the singer's life was hanging in the balance.

"I was the only person who would come forward because I didn’t want him to die. Me and Nate have 20 years history together and I did what everyone should have done and tried to save his life ... not let him get kicked out in the streets and die."

David says he intends to pay the costs by releasing several never-before-heard Nate Dogg tracks that he claims he owns.

When asked if he regrets taking responsibility for Nate's massive medical bill ... David says, "Not at all ... I would do it again in a minute. I just wish that the people he looked out for all these years and the people who claim to love him so much would help out."

TMZ spoke with Warren G -- who famously recorded "Regulate" with Nate -- who tells us, "I rode with Nate 'til the end ... I did what I could do for him with other things financially."

He added, "If I was able to pay for his hospital bill, I would have. I made several calls to numerous people for help. I love Nate ... he's my brother."

We called several other rappers who were close with Nate -- so far no response.

Phreaky

And here it comes... all got their hand out and when no one puts some $$ in it, they "abandoned him". It's always about money with black families.

Truth

WELL IT GOES TO SHOW WHAT SHOW BIZNESS REALLY IS... ALL FAKE AND A FACADE RUN BY A FEW DOZEN PR'S. WHEN IT COMES TO PUT UP OR SHUT-UP --->SILENCE. IT ALSO GOES TO SHOW HOW SH*TLESS THE US HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IS. MANY COUNTRIES WHERE REHAB FOR THIS TYPE OF INJURY WOULD HAVE BEEN FULLY COVERED OR MOSTLY COVERED. MICHAEL MOORE'S 'SICKO' ANYONE?? #TRUTH!!

Sincerity

I remember reading an interesting book that was written by Notorious BIG's mother a couple of years ago. Contrary to what many people believe, many of the Rap/Hip Hop performers "DON'T" make as much money as they would like the public to believe. Many of them are living from "hand to mouth" well beyond their means and most of its just for show!!! Many of these performers owe the IRS, state and local governments so much in back taxes, IT ISN'T FUNNY.

The Real JJ

Its wrong how they did him towards the end of his life. He's made "hit songs" with the best of them. Eminem, Dre, Snoop, the game, ludacris and the list goes on. He gave these people top of the chart songs. There is no reason why he died broke unless there is something we don't know. When he died snoop was asking for donations to the family like he was broke. They did you wrong Nate RIP.

karlew

And this is why national healthcare insurance is so important.

I Chinee

@Truth

I'm a Liberal and I can't stand Michael Moore's fat A S S! His dumb A S S fans are lining his pockets with millions of dollars in which he uses to buy nothing buy cheeseburgers and junk food.

bunny

Of course you reached Warren G who's been broke for a while. Shame on Snoop for not covering it. That's chump change to him.

Natasha Breed

welcome to the club Mr.Michery! Unfortunately no one gives a damn, trust me I KNOW! They don't care now, because THEY NEVER DID! Good luck to you but this will be hard....R.I.P Nate Dogg, you are a true legend and will be missed! from the family of M.C. BREED!

andy

In the words of that great American con artist, "Only in America".

Joe

I have no sympathy for someone who after 20 years and numerous hits, along with the royalties that come in, cannot budget properly and ends up broke looking for a handout.

If he and the estate hadn't been doing what they should have from the start, there'd be money. Maybe they should call MJ's estate and see if they can do something to make Nate more popular and wealthy in his death.

If I gave all my broke friends money after they squander it on booze and drugs and women and fancy crap, then the only thing that would happen is I'm broke and they wouldn't be for a day.

Man up estate.. get a 2nd job to pay off your bills.

shiela

When did friends become responsible for footing the bill of an ill friend? It's always someone else's responsiblity with people today. You can afford to bling yourself out but can't get a trust, life insurance etc.?

Pebblebeach

With all due respect...Get health insurance like the rest of us...

Big D

It's not other peoples responsibility to pay off his debts. Friend or not.

john calabassas

C'Mon Snoop....Pony up.

fstblk

Snoop Dogg, you should be ashamed of yourself for letting this happen to your friend.I guess this is your definition of your famous DOG POUND!!!!!! You truly are a DOGG!!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments