Dolly Parton

I Didn't Mean to Diss Whitney

'I Will Always Love You' Is OURS

2/17/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_dolly_parton_ex
Dolly Parton
is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

Dolly adds, "My heart is with Whitney and her family as they lay her to rest ... I Will Always Love You."

Dolly's original version of the song was released in 1974. Whitney famously covered the track in 1992 for "The Bodyguard."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

wisey

Yea..seeing that Dolly wrote it, Im pretty sure she can call it hers.

CountryGal

Dolly wishes she could sing it as good as Whitney. Sorry but there's no comparison!

Weasel

It was Dolly's song. She wrote it and orginally performed it. Why does she have to apologize for her orginal very nice comment. I'm so sick of political correctness.

Amber

I did not take it that way at all... Dolly did write it and sang it beautifully, but Whitney certainly made it more popular with a different fan base...
Kudos to both of them, it is a beautiful song!

DontTreadOnMe

Well Dolly did write it! So it is her song. Sorry ...just a fact. Whitney sang Dollys song and the more you listen to whitney sing it, the more money Dolly makes :) Rights & Royalties...ya gotta love it :)

VP

I love Whitney's version better of course, but Dolly is right. It was her song. I don't see why anyone would get upset with Dolly for pointing that out. Anyway, RIP Whitney.

Dee

Out of ALLLLLL the bashing and calling the fam and Bobby money hungry or greed or what have u, NOT ONCE has ANYONE said a WORD about Dolly OR Clive and others in regards to the millions theyre about to make. TRUE Dolly wrote it n Clive did whatever he has done but NEITHER hv made as much as theyre about to and Im ALMOST positive theyre NOT saying " all proceeds from sales made due to Whitney's passing will go to her favorite charities... "Or any other charity for that matter!!! Not like Dolly/Clive need the money anyway!!!!!! But noone is saying ANYTHING about them... Go figure...

D. Potter

Seems to me it was covered by Linda Ronstadt as well, does that make it all of theirs? Your's, mine and our's - Just wondering...

r2s

it IS Dolly's song. SHE wrote it. SHE also had a hit with it. If you get divorced and your child gets a new step parent does that mean it's no longer your child? just because Whitney had a huge hit with the song doesn't make it any less Dolly's creation

ShayHay

Dolly may have wrote it...and performed it first. But, that's Whitney's song-lol. And I love Dolly Parton, but Whitney took that song and made it hers.

self-employed

Dolly wrote it and sang it first. What's the problem with that? No doubt about it.

Jill

Dolly didn't have to clarify anything. She wrote it so it is HER song and she has every right to say so, she was also the first to have a hit with it. that doesn't take away from whitney's rendition.

Fat Mike

I know Parton owns the rights, but Whitney Houston OWNED that song.

Meanie

How many people covered Yesterday? Does Paul call it OUR song? With ALLLLLL the covers of White Christmas, Summertime, Over the Rainbow... do the artists get to call those THEIR songs? nope of course not. They who wrote it... get that honor.

ManiacalZebra

Dolly wrote it. It's hers. Houston may have made it famous, but it didn't belong to her.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments