Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Ken

As a kid Iwatched every Monkee Show I feel I have lost an important part of my life .My prayers are with his family,Friends and Fans

Rose

RIP DAVY thank you for the wonderful memories - you will be missed

tony

campy you are real idiot,r.i.p mr jones.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Rest in Peace, Davy. I used to watch The Monkees in reruns when I was a kid and thought Davy was the cutest, had no idea that in real life he was older than my dad...

drn61154

I am so saddened to hear this news. I,too, had the biggest crush on him. RIP, Davey. You will be missed!

cb

Well, it's the last train to clarksville and who will meet him at the station...

WillOTheWisp

Noooooo....say it ain't sooooo, Joe!! Davy was the cutest of all the Monkees, and my favorite song was 'I'm a Believer'.
Thanks for the memories, Davy. R.I.P.

Ken Wayne

A kind of Poor mans Beatles, but I enjoyed the Monkees on Saturday morning.R.I.P. enjoy life! you never know.

blueskies

Wow what a shock and so sad. I couldn't wait every week to see The Monkees tv show. They were the soundtrack to my 9th grade life.

blkblt03

oh wow ! do you know how much gum i had to chew to get all the cards to make the poster !!

blkblt03

oh wow.. u know how much gum i had to chew to get all the cards to make the poster !

Sue Bradley

Thank you so much for the years of entertainment. RIP Davy.

Tammy

Gonna put the flags at half staff???

elizabeth cohen

Davy Jones was my youth. He was the the image of every guy I wanted to kiss. I am so very sad today. I love you Davy, rest in peace.

Ben Frankel

VERY SAD, I am a 59 year old guy that grew up with bands like the Monkee's, although they were not my favorite, they were a part of my life and growing up and no matter what had an impact, sorry about this loss and my heart goes out to his family, it is never easy when someone is so young.