Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

gary

Have fond memories of Monkeys as a little kid (my older sister made sure we were exposed to them, especially Davy) and enjoyed his gig and remix of 'Girl' in 'Brady Bunch' movie. Hope he is in a better place. May he RIP!

Glenda

I just turned on my computer and the headlines staring back at me was this news about Davy Jones. This is terrible news. I was a big fan of theirs back in the day. Always wondered if they would ever get back together and tour again. Guess that's never gonna happen. RIP Davy. Prayers will be going out for you and your family with all my love.

Itoldu

How Sad........
Condolences to his family and friends.
He was a very talented and much-loved person.

Mike

I'm very sad to learn of Davy's passing. I had the chance to meet him backstage a few years ago during the course of my work, and he was a very nice and congenial man. I watched the Monkees when their show was first-run in the 60s, and years later my kids loved them via re-runs. And, my little daughter had a crush on Davy, not knowing the shows were made long before she was born. Davy, thank you for your music and your great personality; rest in peace.

Mike W.

Hey Campy, maybe you'll be next. How rude!

Denver

You see the difference when a beloved entertainer passes away vs a drugged out one? Both were past their prime, but with Davy, many fondly remember the show and a childhood that is long gone. No scandal, no death room photos, only good memories. RIP

Sue Vinet

DAVY WAS MY FIRST LOVE WHEN I WAS 12. EVEN WHEN I WAS OLDER I STILL LOVED HEARING HIM. I HOPE HE LIVED A GOOD LIFE. MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL HIS FANS AND LOVED ONES.

MaryAnn

So shocked to have read this news. He was always a cutie and will surely be missed. Will miss hearing his (english) voice. My sympathy to the rest of his band members of "The Monkees" and to his family and children.

Laura

So sorry to hear of your passing,, you are def going to a better place Love Laura

Laura

I loved him so as a little girl and a few years ago my daughter met him in palm beach and he called me on the phone,, what a wonderful person,, who does that these days most stars think they are untouchable...God Bless you Davey Jones...

Strokadellic

Pirates of the Carribean will never be the same.

suzy wandless

what an awful shock, i used to love watching the monkees television show in the sixties and still play the lp,s i have of them, R.I.P. davey. x

Bob Bain

Rest In Peace. You will be missed.

gutsygirl

This year of the Dragon is proving to be very unsettled.

CloudzAngel

Aww, I loved him. My best friend Kayla saw him in concert a few years back. Davy pulled her up on stage and even gave her a kiss! He was such a nice guy!