Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Randy

My heart twinged upon reading the news. I just loved the Monkees and loved singing their songs. Thanks Davie for bring sunshine into my life.

Dino

Mickey was the lead singer.Davey later sang some leads. They were a fun band to listen to growing up I was a big fan and still listen to their tunes. A little fact is David Bowie changed his name to keep down confusion.

sannb

My condolences to the Davy Jones family. I was a fan of the Monkeys when they came out in the 1960...'s. I thought the band was a respectful parody of the Beatles.

I'm also a long-time fan of cardiology, for I'm a heart patient about the time the Monkeys came live.

Now for the signs of heart failure: these mimic heart attacks, and can be one of the same (I'm a veteran of heart failure symptoms, though in tests in later years: not caught out (they were inflicted by flu viruses)):

Shortness of breath, when climbing stairs or even walking. Cannot run a few yards.

Cannot lay down flat on the bed at night because you cannot exhale: feels better sleeping inclined so you can exhale.

Get that stuff, and go to the emergency room, if you are able, or call 911.

rob

This too is soooo sad....How come not all the hoopla like with junky whitney....Hope we fly our flags at half mast for him too..it would only be fair...wouldn't it...:):)

mary ann martin

Hey Davy, Our family still has the tamborine you played for us at the concert and threw back to our friend in the crowd after you played it for us, and I still watch you on regular TV om the weekends because the Monkees always made me feel happy. You will be truly missed. I cried when I heard and am still crying. We all loved you so much.

CountryGal

I just remembered he had an abusive skank wife he just married recently. I hope the cops are checking everything out.

Jeannie Taylor

I loved Davy Jones!! Always watched their show and he was my favorite. God Bless his family. R.I.P. Davy Jones

C Zgliczynski

That's REALLY sad!! He was way too young, and young at heart.
Never heard he was into the drug scene. Unfair that Stones rockers who look like they've been dead for 20 years have out lived this super nice guy.

Dana Glass

I don't think that Davy was a druggie, but, we don't know of how he got a heart attack, you could be 26 years old and have a heart attack. my condelenses to the family. wow first whitney now davy. I am still in shock!!!

loyerd6

Thousands of pictures of Davy and they had to use that one? I had such a huge crush on him when I was a kid! I saw the Monkees in concert and they were great. He will truly be missed. My condolences go out to his family. Rest in peace, Davy. Maybe he and Whitney can do a Heavenly duet.

Smitty

Boy Davy, you made a whole lot of people happy in their lives. Thanks so much for that!

Frank Fredenburg

Another part of my childhood gone. I enjoyed watching you on the show, and listening to you and the rest of the group. Talented person. Thanks for the memories Davy. I hope your in a better place. RIP fella.

Nick

I just want say to Campy that was so retared it and very stupid for him or her to post Monkey see Mokey do! EITHER YOU Like Davy Jone or you did not And by you words you would better to shut up! Davy Jones was a good entertainer! AND THE Words you said were very uncall for!

Chris

Hey hey! I was a monkey! I wish I could have sang like you!I listened to your records over and over! And imitated everything you do! I just wanted to be like you...Thanks Davey...I'll remember you!

Gambler66

Who cares about this White monkey dying? R.I.P. Whitney. I care more about Whitney's death than this white boy.

Previous 15 Comments | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments