Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Jackie Brady

Davy Jones was my first rock star crush. I was seriously in love with him. I am deeply saddened that my childhood crush has passed over. Davy thanks for the memories. Rest in peace.

Pete

From the 60s to 2012 he touched us all and will be missed greatly.

Judy

I was on a flight to LA when he came on board with two beautiful blonde women. He was so cute and smiled when he walked by. I will miss him.

hemprashad padarat

HI EVERYBODY WORLD AND I AM SAINT OF GOD I KNOW I LOVE WATCH THE MONKEY OF DAVY JONES BUT HEART ATTCK IS NOT DIE AND EMERGENCY HOSPITAL SO DOCTOR NEED FIX REMOVE CLEAN CIRCLE IN PIPE THE HEART AND AGAIN SHOCK ELECTRIC HELP BACK TO HEART LIFE WITHOUT DEAD IF DOCTOR WONT HELP DOCTOR IS HELL

roger

in 1967 yuje monkeys sold more record than the beatles and the stones combined. will davir get the same accolades as jackson or houston? RIP mr jones

jan

My generation is starting to die off now. Davey Jones was part of my childhood. RIP Davey and say Hi and do some jammin' with my friend Howie who watched the Monkees every week when he was young. He passed on Xmas day at the age of 62.

Berdell

My sadness to the family.

helena

I remember watching the monkees when I was younger.
He was a heartthrob, and I had the biggest crush on him.
May he "REST IN PEACE"., and my sincere condolences to his family,friens and fans. He will be missed

Julie

R.I.P. Davey. I was a Davey Jones girl, what a crush I had on you as a 7-12y.o. girl, back in the day of groovey and cool!

shirley

this makes me feel so sad.

helena

I remeber watching the monkees when I was younger. Davy Jones was definitely a heartthrob. I had the biggest rush on him. May he REST IN PEACE., and my condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

Linda

RIP DAYDREAM BELIEVER!

homecareking

Davey Jones and the monkeys are what i grew up with. Now it certainly looks like the monkees reunion concerts will surely not be done. R.I.P. Davey... keep on believing .....

jim/vicki

we will never forget shaking his hand at the tulsa state fair ; Davey was so down to earth kind of person; he came out in the audience and enjoyed it; you could really see this in his face. r.i.p.; you will be missed.

Heather

I pray he acknowledge God as his Lord and savior.

Previous 15 Comments | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments