Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Rooster

This has upset me. I was 8 years old when The Monkees first started on T.V. They were the reason I was turned on to music. Peter Tork scared me when he was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago. I never dreamed that the youngest Monkee would be the first to go. I'm stunned !!! --- Forever a Monkee Junkie.

Steve

To me this is shocking because I live in that county, Martin County,Florida actually same town where Davy or I called him, David. I have talked to David a bunch of times at either at local restaurant or local pub (bar). David wanted to be treated as a regular guy so that is why he love to live here. David will be missed here....my & his adopted town's condolences to his new wife & his daughers from previous relationships. RIP Daydreamer!!

tellmeaboutit

Gone much too soon. RIP, Davy.

Henry The Horse

Here's one of Davy's last performances with the Monkees doing "Last Train To Clarksville" :

bjn72

why isnt the news media making a bigger deal about this like they did for whitney houston. i was a big monkey fan back in the 80's when they were on mtv and on nickolden. i went to their concert tour last summer. it was a good show. i am glad i went when i had the chance. it was a shocker when i saw the news online.

Ritter

You don't know your Monkey's, Davy didn't sing two of the songs you listed as his greatest. Do your homework!!! Be better journalist.

NightLillly

I grew up watching the Monkees when Nickelodeon was in its infancy. Maybe the show will have another come back so my daughter can have the same enjoyment that I and my mother before me enjoyed. I'm glad he lived a rich and full life, continued to perform up until the end.

Debby Annese

It really upsets me when you couldn't put the T.V. without seeing Whitney, and Davy jones you had to go look for some info on him and the news give Mr jones about 20 sec on this mans singing Career. What a shame.

It'sonlyme

Part of my youth past away yesterday. While my heartthrob of the group is Peter Tork, I feel sad that Davy, young man that he was at a youthful and still vibrant age of 66, had to leave this world. I was a googly-eyed pre-teen when the four of them came to be known as The Monkees, and fell hard. I feel blessed to have seen them in concert in 1967 at the height of their popularity. Only the one concert, but the memories will last me a lifetime. R.I.P. Davy Jones.

nightmagic

i have wonderful memories of the monkees show and as a result i went out and bought a cassette of their music .i loved all the guys and their music i was shocked to hear he was dead .Rest in peace always Davy jones

YoungSinatra559

Too bad he didn't have a Philips portable heart defibrillator. They start at about $160...0. I bet it would have saved his life. It's a damn good investment. Especially when you CAN afford one like him.

mbock

Somebody please investigate this! His daughter said he just had a physical. He was a vegetarian. His much younger wife (of about a year or so) was known to abuse him. Me smells a rat.

Connie

He was a great entertainer. I grew up watching the Monkees on TV. I loved them all . Thank you all for your great music. It is timeless.

pmpetra2011

Sooo sad. RIP Davy Jones. Loved watching the reruns of the Monkeys.

richard hydell and wrecked

good pop music thanks dave .....peace and love ..for the best rock and roll,,, google... richard hydell and wrecked...sex drugs and rock and roll

Previous 15 Comments | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments