Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Bu

RIP David Jones...you were loved by millions!

Dave

Time to clean out Davey Jones Locker.
RIP

Bruce Allen

Oh how sad....I was 14 years old when the Monkees started and I loved them. Thank you Davey for the great teenage memories.

Nomor Artie

FYI: He wasn't really the lead singer...I think Mickey Dolenz sang as many, or more, Monkee songs.

Linda

Wow, I just start the monkies show 2 days ago and I laughed my head off. My brother met him 4 years ago at the airport and he said that Davie was such a great guy and they stayed in touch. He even sent a message to my sister who survived breast cancer. I was looking forward to seeing him perform in March. Too soon to go. Sad for us who loved him.

Jesse

He was very big in his days... lot of people/girls loved him..
A very nice person... he was indeed!
He will be sadly missed... RIP Davey... and my condolences to his family

Liz H

very sad!...in words of Marsha..."i will never wash my hand again"

tina

so sad, i was married to him when i was in the 5th grade

BlueThunder613

Baruch Dayan HaEmes Davy!

I know millions of folks including me and Marcia Brady will be bummed now that you're gone.

BSF, this is a sad day for Monkees fans all over the world!

charles

R.I.P. Davey

charles

I don't think social security has anything to worry about. Davey Jones paid into the system certainly for years and lived to the ripe old age of 66. My sister paid in all her life and died this year at 48. What are politicians acting like they are so concerned about...could it be themselves?

Jacqui

I hated to hear it. I had his posters all over my room back in the day. Davy Jones and Bobby Sherman were the heartthrobs of the day. He will be missed. RIP

david66ad

While it is sad that Davy has passed the writer of the article doesn't seem to know the Monkees that well. Of the three songs he listed Mickey was the lead singer on two of the songs while Davy sang Daydream Believer. Most people assume the Davy was the lead singer because he didn't play an instrument when in fact Mickey sang most of the songs.

We will miss you Davy.

Rock Singer

As he once wrote...."They made a Monkee out of me"...RIP

Liana

RIP, Davy Jones. You are very much missed & God bless...