Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

MIKE

WHAT A SHOCKER I REMEMBER MR JONES FROM LAUGH IN AND THE MONKEES MAY YOU REST IN PIECE DAVEY AND OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IT IS A SHAME 66 YEARS OLD STILL YOUNG GOD BLESS YOU RIP

Paula

Will miss my teen heartthrob! RIP Dave..

chevy

So sad to hear this. Will miss you Davy. RIP

TexasNDN

RIP Davy ! What memories you leave behind. Thank you.My htoughts & pryers go out to his family.

Dee

This makes me feel incredibly OLD right about now....Deepest sympathy to the family. The Monkees made a LOT of people smile...

Don

I grew up watching the Monkees. It was a crazy show, but the songs they sung were great. RIP Davey

Bruce Allen

Oh how sad....I was 14 years old when the Monkees came out and i loved them. Thank you Davy for the great teenage memories, you will be missed by so many of us.

L

That's sad. I grew up watching The Monkees reruns in the 70's.

elsa

I am sorry to hear about his death. I dont understand at all how seemingly healthy people can be so sick they dont even notice it! My sincere condolences.

Gordon Greenbacks

Not long ago he began parodying himself to promote an investment oriented website. Might he have had financial trouble? http://www.gorillatrades.com/20110816davy.htm

J Carter

RIP

Criss

That sucks! I was a fan as a kid!

Miss Kitty

Oh no I loved Davy Jones. I remember having such a crush on him as a young gal. He was soo cute!! God Bless you Davy RIP.

dglowicki

RIP, Davy Jones! You were my first crush. I used to dream that I was your "sleepy Jeanne." Condolences to your wife and daughters. Thank you for the music and the fun.

tyler