Piers Morgan

Cameron Was 'Brave' to Voice

Anti Gay Marriage Opinions

3/4/2012 7:51 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0304_piers_morgan_video_ex
Piers Morgan admits that Kirk Cameron ticked a lot of people off by voicing his opinions against gay marriage ... but Piers thinks the former child star was "brave" to stick to his beliefs.

GLAAD predictably blasted Cameron after his appearance on "Piers Morgan Tonight," during which he called homosexuality "unnatural" and "destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."

But Morgan feels Cameron "was honest to what he believed" even if he most people find his views to be "antiquated."

As the old saying goes ... "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

YouDontSay

Purrfectly said

Quinn Stone

As distasteful as his remarks were, Cameron, who I strongly dislike by the way, has as much right to an opinion and to teach his kids what he wants. I may not agree with his opinion and views but to deny him his right to free speech and free thought is no different than denying a gay couple the right to be married.

Athina

Kirk Cameron is a closet gay Look at the guy - it's not too hard to figure out. Those are the ones who come out with the anti-gay comments, to try and pretend they're something they're not.

Gloria

The world is changing. Social norms are changing, that is, what is acceptable. One must define what one means by natural or unnatural. In nature, there are many species that practice bisexuality and homosexuality. Zoologists are discovering that homosexual and bisexual (pygmy chimpanzees) activity is not unknown within the animal kingdom and this behavior has been observed in beetles, sheep, fruit bats, dolphins, orangutans. monkeys, dolphins, killer whales, giraffes, penguins, ostriches, flamingos whose males even adopt and raise babies, and Almost a quarter of black swan families are parented by homosexual couples. Male couples sometimes mate with a female just to have a baby. Once she lays the egg, they chase her away, hatch the egg, and raise a family on their own. Many primatologists have refrained from publishing these types of findings So, who is in charge of setting up social norms?
Who is to say what is against nature or natural? Do some humans try to create an artificial morality? Are some humans actually biased against what is natural and inherent?
I think it is dangerous to set yourself up in a privileged position of judgement and expect others to conform to your own constructed and perceived moral compass. Who decides what is right or wrong? The moral majority is gradually becoming the minority. How will this shift the dynamics of socially constructed identifications and signifyers? It's all well and good to have your own personal beliefs and they should be between yourself and God. When you set yourself above everyone else and play God and impose your beliefs on others is when the problems arise.

mary

Although I do not agree with his beliefs regarding homosexuality I support his right to express his opinion honestly. This is a free country after all. If people are prevented from honestly expressing their opinions and beliefs then we are no different from the Taliban or any other dictatorial society. This doesn't make me like him or not like him. It's his opinion and he has a right to that.

Onefinn

While I too think that he has a right to his opinion, as a gay man I really don't like it, but it is his right to say what he wants. Also I guess he doesn't want to work in Hollywood any longer, he seemed to burn those bridges.

abby

I'm pretty sure that Kirk Cameron is himself gay.

lori

Piers is absolutely correct. What Kirk said is based on his religiously held beliefs, which are well known. He has every right to have them, even if mainstream America disagrees.

northern gypsy

the last sentence is our boy harvey's mantra !!!

justice

I am glad there are still people that believe in GOD and morals, and the reason for Adam & Eve..

mary

I think it would be very sad if Kirk Cameron was prevented from working in Hollywood just because of his religious convictions. What does that say about the powers that be?

Marvin

Hollywood loves free speech as long as you agree with them.

Lou

Look if you put a man & a woman on an island life continues, any other combination and it's over.
People can do what they like in the privacy of their homes as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, but
trying to make it "Normal" just isn't going to work.
Very shortly the public in general is going to have its fill of "Liberal Hollywood" GLADD,
George Looney, and the rest of these nuts that want to ruin our country.

Home Skillet

Well said, Piers! Thank you!

Byron Green

I realy do not care one way or the other I mean I am a single male ( Straight )the more the merrier I say, it kinda cuts down on the competition.
It is a bit yuckie though I mean that orfice is designed to dump poo not accept a sausage.
BG