Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Bobo Frog

The FLight 93 story is unconfirmed and largely fabricated fluff to generate patriotism.

Zombie Whitney Houston

S*** like this really makes me hate TMZ. Good lord.. the guy made a dumb joke. Let it go. I'm so sick of how politically correct every celebrity/politician has to be and if they joke about anything that even remotely hurts somebody's delicate feelings they have to have TMZ shove it down their throats for a few weeks and beg forgiveness.

haskel420

who cares what her sons sexuality was.. why limit him to only one aspect of his life and personality..??

rjinchi

Good for you Alice!

Jake

At the same time you bash him you're kinda saying he's right.

Cheryl A.

Stereo-typing anyone is just sooo wrong!

Alice is spot on with her comments.

Lana Barnett

Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have

Jacob

SOME JOKES ARE MEANT TO BE OFFENSIVE!!! Do gay people want to live in a Rated G world, seems like it to me. People as individuals or groups get made fun of and joked about all the time, part of life. Get over it and stop caring about what other people think... Jeez!!!

edswoggle

I'm more appalled that any still considers Carson Daly the least bit relevant. And BoboFrog (awesome name by the way), while I agree with you that conspiracies happen all the time, and there might have been a few around 9/11 (as who was REALLY behind the attacks), the attacks themselves are something sacred, and 93 (along with the Towers and the Pentagon) really did happen.

thrillticket

Carson was way outta line. I could whip his azzz on any given day and i'm a female. Anybody who values their own life in mid air is gonna rush a perpetrator or a terrorist especially after 9/11. Before 9/11 people weren't thinking that hijackers would crash planes into buildings. Hijackers were known to land and demand. And that land and demand mentality doesn't exist anymore. It's more of a "if I even think your gonna be a problem on my flight I'm a whip yo azz!" mentality. Believe it!!!!!!!!!!

lisa

Carson Daly looks more gay than her son.

Jay W.

Stand-up comedians... watch your gay schtick. Back in 83, Eddie Murphy and the like could get away with it.

Today... ? NOT.

bunny

How does she know what her son did on the plane?

RaineeDrops

Nice letter.

Everyone needs to have a voice and sometimes speak out when someone is being wronged.

Oval Beach

Love you Alice. Your son would be proud.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments