Mother of 9/11 Hero

My Son Was Gay

... And Tougher Than Carson Daly

3/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-alice-hoagland-carson-daly-mark-bingham-getty-exThe mother of one of the Flight 93 heroes wants Carson Daly to know ... gay people ARE brave and tough ... and her son was living proof.

TMZ broke the story ... Daly joked on his L.A. radio show that gay people wouldn't have been able to take down a crazed pilot who freaked out on a recent JetBlue flight ... instead, they would have been more interested in going to a "floral convention."

Now, Alice Hoagland ... the mother of Mark Bingham ... has a message for the radio host ... saying, "Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day.  He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

She adds, "No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall -- who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer -- would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

"The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry."

"I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

Alice Hoagland
Mother of Mark Bingham
California Golden Bears Rugby, University of California, Berkeley
San Francisco Fog Rugby Club
United Airlines Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco    9/11/2001

Sloane

good for mom......shame on Carson!

gingerale

Way to go Alice!!! Can't believe Carson would say such thing.... joke or no joke. Carson is such a douche bag!!!

SpeakTheWord

I was a f???ing joke lady shut your f???ing mouth.

Shix

Stop blowing the joke out of proportion. For heaven`s sake it was just a joke. Now Harvey and his counterparts(read) Perez Hilton are all up in arms trying to defend their honor...Please!!! Sic

Everyone

Keep prodding those gay kids TMZ! Everyone get ready for another slow news day!

Angry Danny

Can someone PLEASE kick that idiot Carson Doofy right in the flippin' head already and shut him up.......Good for you Alice....

BarrysConspiracyWorld

No doubt her son was tougher than Carson. Why did he say "Hi Mom, this is Mark Bingham." Why was there no evidence of an airplane in PA?

If you'd like to actually know what happened on 9/11, check out my blog.

richiekay

Beautifully said, Mom. Your son is a hero.

rights

GO MOM! Tell them and honor your son, for who he was, a brave, strong gay man. I am proud he fought for the safety of others.

Meanie

Well said Alice!

Bird

I thought Carson Daly's little "joke" was stupid and ridiculous when I heard it. My uncle is gay, and he's more of a man than Carson ever thought of being. I get that he was just trying to be "funny", but all he accomplished was making himself look like a jackass. Stereotypes are lame, and so is Carson Daly.

Flying Blind

Lets get the gay guys at TMZ and have a cage fight. Of course Harvey would win, you don't mess with "old guy strong" like Max said.

We're all grown ups here, it was a joke. What if he said "my luck, we would have been on the way to a Cheer Leading event."

Would all the Cheer Leaders been upset, I doubt it.

Observer999

It was a JOKE. There are way too many people who just LOVE to be outraged. Blah blah blah, I can't hear you any more.

Nanny

What I would like is for these conspiracy theorists and bigots to quit wathcing/reading TMZ. If you are a white straight guy in America you have NO RIGHT to pass judgement on these stories being covered because you have never suffered that type of indignity. I am a white 60-year old straight woman and I say GO ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF, ALICE. YOU ARE ELOQUENT AND YOUR SON IS A HERO TO ME AND MOST PEOPLE! And you are right. If some of these people knew which sports figures were gay and cover it up - let's just say they would be really shocked! But gay people in the public eye sometimes have no choice.

Flying Blind

And get those Otomom ads down, now that's offensive!