« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Superstar Randy Orton

SCRAPPED from 'Marine' Flick

Over Military Past

4/3/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE superstar Randy Orton

WWE superstar Randy Orton has been 86'd from the lead role in the upcoming movie "Marine: Homefront" ... amidst outrage from several Devil Dogs who claim Randy deserted them during his brief stint in the USMC.

A rep for WWE tells us, "WWE demonstrated poor judgment in signing Randy Orton for the 3rd installment of the film."

The rep adds, "Despite Randy's popularity, the fact that he was dishonorably discharged from the USMC made it inappropriate for him to be cast in this film."

The move will surely satisfy Cpl. Mike Vinn ... one of Randy's former unit members who was FURIOUS the wrestler was ever up for the role in the first place ... since Orton received a bad conduct discharge in 1999 after going AWOL on two separate occasions and disobeying an order from a commanding officer.

Orton was court-martialed and served 38 days in a military prison.

Before Orton was scrapped from the project, Vinn told TMZ, "I am disgusted that his face and the word Marine are being used next to each other -- real or fake -- because of the fact that he quit us, the country, and the Marine Corps. [Randy] in the role of a Marine is a disgrace to those that have worn and are wearing that uniform."

Randy Orton in a marine uniform

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Tony

YES YES YES YES YES

GOLLY

Watching WWE, I can tell you that the movie with Orton would be painful to watch. Randy Orton has as much carisma as a bucket of spit. Dead logs are much better actors and have a better acting range. I always thought Nick Cage was one of the most boring actors in hollywood, Randy orton makes nick Cage look like a cheerful Brando by comparison.

AmericaFrickYes

I don't know why he accepted the role, there is no greater shame than being referred to as a United States Marine.

Seriously, it's as easy as getting a toy in your Happy Meal.

Anonymous

People have known about Randy's miitary past for years. I highly doubt this is going to effect is career now.

Kat

But he has no complaints against Sgt. Slaughter? What about when DX wore fatigues and rode around in tanks? Come on, Vinn. All or nothing.

Tambria

My son is an active Marine. This disgusts me. More so, because Linda McMahon, candidate for the US Senate in Connecticut and recent former CEO/owner of WWE, postures herself as a supporter of our military. Supporter of their hard earned cash more likely. Disgusting. Insulting.

Dawn Christie

I believe Randy Orton is a talented wrestler. Some people are just not cut out to be in the Marine Corps and he has stated that he just wasn't cut out for it. He owned what he did. I do think that it was poor judgement to cast him as a Marine for the film. I also know that he may not have shown respect for the Corps when he was in and young, but he has tried to make peace and shown great support to our troops.

yvonne

You desert your country, you deserve what you get. He shouldn't have gotten near the role in the first place. He never should have went up for it or accepted it. Only a coward runs from his duty. The fact he didn't do the honorable thing here by not accepting the role tells everyone he hasn't learned a damn thing about honor and respect. Wrestling employs the lowest of the low about society. Anyone who deserts their country during volunteer time (meaning they chose to sign up, not a draft) should have to move the **** out when they get home. Nobody needs your ballless ilk here. I'm the farthest thing from a jingoistic flag waving person but even I have limits to what is acceptable. I find this whole story disgusting and I am ashamed for him. I bet his father has a broken heart.

Granny Tank

That's ironic that anyone from the military would throw stones at glass houses about this considering marines pee'd on dead bodies overseas and filmed it. That's bad conduct that makes the whole country let alone our military look like garbage. Someone goes AWOL and that's horrible but yet our military rednecks can rape and kill innocent people especially children overseas and they label it patriotic. Get it together, its a movie. It's not going to change the disgrace our military has brought our country with loose cannons overseas because of "bad judgment" allowing them to serve. Mike Vinn needs to pull his skirt up.

Chrissie

Thats stupid! Even more on WWE's part for listening. Its a character, a movie. So this means Glenn Jacobs is a real life monster, Steve Austin has killed a few people, and Paul Levesque drives a yellow bus. Pathetic. If I were the marines I'd be more worried about WWE's plot and the overall story of the movie instead of whos in it. I like WWE but their movies are to cringe for. I hope they put Randy back in this film.

arale norimaki

I've been expecting you. My name is Sgt Slaughter. Special drill instructor for G.I. Joe.

After graduating from Hazelwood in 1998, Orton enlisted with the United States Marine Corps. There, he was dishonorably discharged a year later, after going AWOL (Absent Without Official Leave) on two separate occasions and disobeying an order from a commanding officer. Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, Private First Class Orton was tried and convicted under a special court-martial and was put into a military prison for thirty-eight days.

Jay

I'm not a huge fan of Orton, I remember when he came to WWE he was in the press a lot for bad behavior and bad attitude. He was also in his early 20's. I believe he was discharged when he was 18-19 years old. He is now in his 30's, married and has children.

I wonder how many people reading this story and commenting would like to be forever judged on their actions when they were 18-19 years old. I know I wouldn't.

Cpl. Mike Vinn's comment "I am disgusted that his face and the word Marine are being used next to each other" says a lot about the maturity of the typical marine. The kid was 18-19 years old, he shouldn't have been in the marines to begin with.

I am disgusted by Cpl. Mike Vinn

RKO Fanatic

Randy should have been able to be the lead role. His actions in the past does not define the man he is today. I love WWE, I enjoy there movie productions. But since Randy is not going to be in it for something in his past, I will not be watching it.

Me

Once a Marine, always a Marine

Amanda

I think it's great that they decided not to cast him in this movie.My brother in law was stationed with Randy in Camp Pendleton and the stories we were told about him before going AWOL were really messed up.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments