Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

harv

She knew what she was doing, she was in the commercial! how could she not know what was going on LMAO. She's just saying this now because of all the drama. Personally i dont see anything wrong with the commercial, black people are not the only ones that eat chicken.

dredlocdiva

When did eating chicken become racist? I don't get it. Now black people can't eat chicken and watermelon in public. I don't see as offensive. However, I found her whining voice offensive. People need to focus on more important issues that is plaguing the African American community like police brutality, hunger, education, homelessness and HIV.

me

Its not like they are selling collard greens and watermelon!

Marie

I find the commercial to be very funny. Especially the part when she sings 'Crispy chicken and ranch sauce and lettuce and tomatoes'....LOL!

tucker

So, if it's soooooooo offensive, why doesn't she return the check in protest? No? Ok, that's what "I" expected.

Antwon Humphrey

I'm black and i don't see whats wrong with it hell i stay in Alabama and the racism here is crazy.black people here still lose their jobs because they date out of their race.I'm one of them 2 Mary make ur money boo boo

TmzGod

Brothers and Sisters make everything a racial issue, Why?

nastypoops

I think this is racist because it shows white people enjoying mayonnaise...

Gordon

Can you imagine the roar if she had sang, "Love that chicken at Popeye's!" instead?

Jimmy C.

How *** Mickey D. can show people of color eating chicken, but not BK? Thank God they don't serve watermelon.

Rub

This is no big deal. Mary sounds awful. What's the issue y'all?

Sherron

REALLY a black person cannot in any way be related to chicken?? How ridiculous is that?

KarmaMonroe

I'm black and Hispanic so I guess I should be double offended? Lol! I'm not offended, I don't even eat chickent but how can she sing a song about chicken and act like she doesn't know she's going to be on a commercial about chicken? If there were really a problem she should have objected when she saw the lyrics.

Brittany

What is the big deal! People are making this bigger than what it really is. I am african american and I do not think that this commercial was racist. I could see if they were having her freiken make out with a drumbstick but come on guys!!! Not EVERYTHING has to be about race! Get a life and Grow tf Up!

Niki

I'm black and I didn't take offense to this, however I agree with another poster who said she knew about the song and still did it. Now she wants to scream offensive. Now I guess they going to call me a sell out. Oh well, I like the commercial and chicken just like everybody else, whether black, white hispanic, Asian or any other race!