« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

'Blazing Saddles' Star

Sues NFL -- I Have Dementia

4/12/2012 4:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Former Detroit Lions star Alex Karras
Former Detroit Lions star Alex Karras -- the guy who played Mongo in "Blazing Saddles" -- says he now suffers from dementia ... and blames the NFL for not properly protecting him from concussions during his playing days.

Karras -- who also starred in "Webster" -- has joined hundreds of ex-NFL players in a lawsuit that seeks medical monitoring, cognitive health benefits as well as financial compensation for the damage he suffered as a result of brain injuries.

Karras' wife has released a statement saying, "Alex suffers from dementia but still enjoys many things, including watching football. But dementia prevents him from doing everyday activities such as driving, cooking, sports fishing, reading books and going to big events or traveling."

She adds, "His constant complaint is dizziness -- the result of multiple concussions. What Alex wants is for the game of football to be made safer and allow players and their families to enjoy a healthier, happier retirement.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Kelly

Are you kidding me? What a sue happy country. He chose this very lucrative career and was well aware that an injury is an injury.

afjioeqjioe

If you play a sport for a living were your head gets hit over and over. You should take the responsibility for your action. You dont have to be a genius to know that getting hit could possible damage you permanently. That said my father is in the same age range as this guy and he has dementia. Which he did not get from sports as a younger man. So there is no real way to tell what the direct cause was.

Stormy

He had plenty of success in his like to make money and put it way for his retirement! What does he expect the NFL to say, "Excuse me while I whip this out!"

Surfer Gal

His wife? Don't you mean SUSAN CLARK? She was a very famous actress. She and her husband, Alex Karras, had their own television show.

Telma

I hope he gets what he needs.

Someone's goldfish

The interesting point is if the NFL tried to introduce changes to the game 30 years ago in the same way it is trying to do today, most of the players would have criticized the league for going soft. Look how many players today are criticizing rule changes to protect against concussions.

tmz-ho

Outrageous and blatantly ironic, don't you think? Sounds to me like someone needs their head examined...right after they pull it out of you know where. Good grief!

Master619

No, Mongo straight.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

No! I love Alex Karras! I remember my parents coming home from the movie, & Mom was still cracking up about him knocking out the horse.

Btw, "It's HEDLEY!"

Carl

Why did you bill him as Blazing Saddles star instead of former NFL star? You have stories about sports greats all the time. Anyway, while Blazing Saddles was a great movie, many more people will know him from Webster. Maybe the person who writes these stories should be more familiar with who these people are.

Jay W.

Don't blame the NFL... Just admit you need money !

tellmeaboutit

That's sad to hear. I suppose the NFL will claim to have provided what was state of the art equipment at the time, and they probably did. Football is a tough sport and those guys take some bad hits. I do hope this will convince the NFL to treat probable concussions with more care than they do now.

Best wishes and hope to Alex and Susan.

zoolady

I think it is admirable that he is trying to improve the conditions for future players.

Majestik

'BULL****'. You were a NFL player, went into movies, was in one of the biggest blockbusters back in the early eighties, was a MAJOR PLAYER in a T.V. show called Webster and you want to cry MEDICAL and FINANCIAL problems, BULL****. In other words, you made a chitload of money, never invested in right, never spent it right and now you are ****ing broke and your gold digging wife want's a big pay day for marrying you all of a sudden. I don't buy it, all of you are looking for a payday you DON"T deserve.

niles

He was a good actor also who had nice comedic timing. I believe he was married to some actress whose name I can't recall. I'm sure she has her hands full with his care. Good luck to you, Alex.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments