Meredith Vieira REJECTS NBC Offer

to Replace Ann Curry

6/21/2012 10:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621_ann_curry_vieira_savannah
NBC secretly offered Meredith Vieira a big contract to replace Ann Curry on the "Today" show ... but she turned them down.

Sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... the offer was made approximately two weeks ago but Meredith wasn't interested in returning to the show she anchored for 6 years.

TMZ broke the story back in April ... Ann Curry was on her way out, partly because NBC was unhappy with her performance, partly because the ratings started to suck, and partly because Matt Lauer didn't like working with her.

As we reported, when Matt re-signed with "Today," he made it clear he wanted a new co-anchor, but NBC delayed making an immediate change because the network didn't want to make it look like a big foot on Matt's part.

From what we're hearing, Ann could be 86'd within a matter of weeks.

As for who will replace Ann, network sources say the frontrunner is Savannah Guthrie, who co-hosts the third hour of "Today."

Lara

Why are they replacing Ann Curry? She's the BEST JOURNALIST on tv today! Matt Lauer stinks as a journalist and is not even attractive at all. He is a racist who never liked Ann because she's part Asian. Matt only wants white co-host. He's such a loser.

justagirl

Anne, I'll work with you! I absolutely LOVE you! Matt, quit crossing your legs, either wear your glasses or get contacts, and grow some hair already!

Carol L

If Ann goes, I quit watching.

friendofdot

I really like Ann but not in this position. I hope she gets a much better job that is suited to her talents. I used to like Matt, but he has become an arrogant jerk. His bald head is way too big. The position should go to Natalie and NOT Savannah. Savannah is still very awkward and not in the least big warm. Best of luck to Ann. BTW, I have just recently switched to GMA. It's not great but better than Today.

Sandra Stewart

Why don't they replace Matt Lauer? Seems like the simple solution to me.

edd

i have started watching abc, i can't take any more of matt and al.......

Mrs. W

What about Natalie Morales? I love her! Either way, I'm couldn't be happier Ann is on the way out! Every time I try to watch, I turn the channel when Ann comes on. It's so painful to watch her interview people!

Christy

Dear NBC....I got some extra time, call me!

Nwvotes

Ann Curry is leaving the 'Today' show. Do you think she will be hard to replace? Vote at Nationwidevotes.com

Teberg94

We always turn the sound off when Ann Curry is doing an interview - it's like fingernails scraping a chalkboard, painful to listen too. At least Savannah is well educated (Magna *** Laude from Georgetown Law) and past two (2) bar exams. She is NBC News's Chief Legal Analyst. She's got the chops to put Lauer or any male anchor in his place!

daisy

I am so surprised by some of the comments - Ann Curry was promoted beyond her skill set - she was excellent at doing the news, and is likeable in that role. But her interviews are cringe-worthy, the low dulcet voice, the painful earnestness, she can't think on her feet or banter at all with anyone on the show and when she tries it's forced and awkward. None of this is her fault, they should never have promoted her to co-anchor. Honestly Nancy Snyderman is funnier, more natural and engaging - Tamron Hall would be fantastic - there are several females to choose from at NBC/MSNBC.

Sandra

Ann was great at reading the news but is not good at her current job!! Not a Savannah or Lauer fan!! Suggest NBC be careful here because if they fire Ann their ratings will go south and Lauer will be even less likeable!!

GoodNews!

I have been watching the Today show since before Bryant Gumble and Jane Pauly. I have seen Host come and go, however I do not think that it is fair for Ann Curry to be dismissed. It is my understanding that GMA beat the Today Show only one week in April when Katie Curic (GMA) and Sarah Palin (Today) were guest Co-hosting the for networks. Many viewers switched from the Today show in protest of Sarah Palin Co-hosting. Many viewers said they would not return to Today Show. And guess who's idea it was to have Sarah Palin host...You guessed it, Matt Lauer!

Anyways, it will be a great loss for the Today Show viewers if they get rid of Ann. Ann is very intelligent, professional, compassionate, humble and simply a beautiful person both inside and out. If Ann is gone, then it's time for me to make my move and switch to GMA.

Fat Mike

Dear TMZ, please do the follow up story when the person who made the decision to keep Matt and fire Ann is fired himself.
Can't they see that over 85% of the comments and likes are all in favour of Ann? Yeah, great decision, NBC.

Ro

Not a fan of Ann Curry, she always has to jump in to talk and cut off Matt. Do not like Savannah Guthrie at all, she is so dry and boring. Natalie Morales is a good choice or Jena. Wish Meredith would have come back.