Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes Divorce

SCIENTOLOGY

Was Her Breaking Point

6/29/2012 1:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0629-katie-tom-4
Katie Holmes
filed for divorce primarily over Tom Cruise's fierce ties to Scientology, fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church ... sources connected with the couple tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... Katie has never been fully committed to Scientology, even though she has had ties with the church.  We're told the couple had been arguing over Suri -- that she's now of the age where Scientology becomes a significant part of her life.

Sources familiar with the split tell us Katie is filing for sole legal custody -- as we first reported -- specifically because she does not want Tom to control decisions relating to religion.

Sources have told us that the divorce is NOT about money -- we're told Katie doesn't need Tom's money ... because she has plenty of it ... and will be well taken care of under the terms of the prenup.

To give you an idea of how fierce Tom's ties to the Church are -- a video featuring the actor discussing what Scientology means to him leaked onto YouTube in 2008. You gotta watch the whole thing.

Shell-shocked

Gasp! I'm just too shocked for words! I never, ever saw it coming...

Cujeaux

Oh, I figured it was because he's gay. I doubt he's been an active member of the church anyway.
If he's looking for another beard, there are several top shelf celeb scientologists who are no doubt available -
Juliette Lewis, Kirstie Ally, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, Peaches Geldof.... Take your pick Tom!

Areader

It's a amazing how someone as talented as Tom Cruise is can be so easily brainwashed. I'll say a prayer to Jesus for him!

river rat

Scientology is not a religion. It is a cult, plain and simple!

foxymegan

Religion is kinda one of those things you want to figure out BEFORE kids & marriage. She knew what he was all about when she became pregnant & married him. Suddenly now she is trying to protect Suri from Scientology?! I definitely feet Katie appeared to be in some kind of trance-like state throughout this relationship. Tom is just creepy now.

John

She's a gold digging whore. She knew Tom was a Scientology obsessed freak when she married him, everyone knew that. But being his beard paid well, even with the pre-nup. Plus she got a lot of publicity out of it for her career, even if she can't act her way out of a wet paper sack.

Pw121982

Please! What women wants to be married to a gay man! I mean He gets to bang dudes while she honors a marriage! I wish all these closet cases involved in scientology would be exposed! It's like a cult for gay men and women who beard for them!

chichifrogslegs

good for katie. i hope it's not too late for suri.

trishica

This does not surprise me

CA Girl

If this truly is about Scientology, then she chose to believe Cruise when he told her, "Hey, you can be Catholic AND be a Scientologist!" (You CAN'T, not if you're a practicing Catholic). I hope the soon-to-be former Mrs. Cruise goes back to her parents for counsel and wisdom in handling this situation. Then, I hope she takes her daughter to church and reacquaints herself with the faith she was brought up in and I hope NEXT time she makes a much better choice in a husband and father.

Babydoll0630

BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happyday

What kind of world is this where a guy can write a bad sci fi book and come up with a wacky plan to tell everyone it's a religion....and oh yeah, they have to give him a lot of their money....... And people DO IT! Ha! Ha! That is really messed up.

USArmy

I guess it really is a "Mission Impossible" for him to stay married.

Tj

I hate hearing about that leap on the couch. They acted like Tom is the first guy to do something stupid over a girl. He has entertained for years and damn when he opened up to the world he got blasted. We can let alot slide in this country but God forbid you be into Scientology, unforgivable. No, I don't believe in it either, I just hate all the bashing he gets over it after all this time. Chris Brown beat up Rhianna not too long ago but he's back on top of the world.

Cheryl

Okay. So either this is some artful editing or the guy is just bat**** crazy. If they are the experts on "the mind"- then get the boy some antipsychotics! Seriously.