Steven Tyler

QUITTING

'American Idol'

7/12/2012 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0712_steven_tyler_AI
Steven Tyler will NOT return to the judge's table on "American Idol" ... and has compared the show to a deranged bunny killer.

Tyler completed two full seasons on the show ... beginning in 2010.

Tyler has issued a statement saying, "After some long ... hard ... thoughts ... I’ve decided it’s time for me to let go of my mistress ‘American Idol’ before she boils my rabbit.”

The comment is a reference to the movie "Fatal Attraction" ... in which an obsessed woman kills her lover's daughter's pet rabbit.

Tyler continued, "I strayed from my first love, AEROSMITH, and I’m back – but instead of begging on my hands and knees, I’ve got two fists in the air and I’m kicking the door open with my band. The next few years are going to be dedicated to kicking some serious ass – the ultimate in auditory takeover."

He adds, "On Nov. 6, we are unleashing our new album, Music from Another Dimension on the Earth, Moon, Mars, and way beyond the stars. IDOL was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it ... Now it’s time to bring Rock Back. ERMAHGERD.”

"A.I." co-creator and executive producer Simon Fuller released a statement saying, "I completely understand his desire to get back to his life as the singer in America's greatest-ever rock band. AMERICAN IDOL will miss him!”

0712_remembering_steven_tyler_idol_footer

johnnyg

I've been singing all of my life. Pretty good at it too. Though I'm not famous I'd be a great judge in Steven's place. I'd also do it for a lot less. Tyler boosted the ratings tremendously last season. Everyone related to him and he's not an a**hole like most. The producers know what they're doing and I'm certain they have found the right guy already.

cassiocan

Best man for the job : GENE SIMMONS, that would rock the judges seats !

Rogatron

Tyler was a pretty good judge. The reunion of Aerosmith is a bit creepy as they are a bunch of seventy year old men dressing up like it is Halloween and screeching through worn out vocal chords. Maybe my grandparents will go to a concert and wave their glow sticks.

freecheese

I wish this STUPID kereoke show would go away forever.
As for Stephen Tyler: Put him in a monkey cage at the zoo where he would fit in.

Bu

Steven and J-Lo make that show! Bad move!

Charlie Goose

Too late. The show has already been ruined by his inane cheerleading. I watched the show from the very first episode in 2002, and quit early on this past season because of Tyler and Lopez.

Alice Barham

American Idon gave Steven Tyler a huge boost, so, it would be so nice if he could keep his mouth shut re any nasty remarks.

Sandra

At least he was interesting!! Idol has had it's day and Randy needs to get a new gig !!

RGesch

Good! Television sucks. I do not watch it. I do not have it. I saw one episode of AI years ago and it was the most idiotic thing that I have ever seen. Steve T. did it the real way... went out and worked his ass off all over the countryside. Television is television and music is music. The Twain Shall Never Meet.

Jack Goodsell

Steven Tyler was the only reason I watched A.I. Love Tyler and Aerosmith, greatest rock band ever! I won't watch again. I can't stand that fluff crap J Lo produces and randy is a total bore. The two of them cozying up and leaving the true artist, Steven Tyler on the periphery has always irritated me. Go steven, that shows a sinking ship.

jjh

Love singer Steven Judge Steven not so much. He to me was Ellen all over, good people but did not know how to judge. Wish i had a dollar for everytime he said that was beautiful man. :) bring on Adam . Do think Jlo will be back justthink she wants some begging for her to stay. Begging=big bucks. Hope by then her n her BOYfriend will be long over. Yikes what is/was she thinking

yup

Beautiful!

Ed

I gave up on it when JLO and Steve Tyler came on the show. I can't stand either one of them. They don't know good talent when they see it. If JLO came on AI right now as a newcomer act, she'd lose!

Turd in the punchbowl

Um, Have you SEEN the show, Tyler?

Nothing more than a popularity contest.

peggy amaral

I am going to miss you on American everytime I seen you would bring my brother back to my mind Good Luck