Kerry Kennedy Crash

I Wasn't on Drugs

... I Had a Seizure

7/18/2012 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

071812_keri_kennedy_splash_launchKerry Kennedy has plead not guilty to driving under the influence of drugs during her July 13 car crash ... claiming she had a seizure as a result of an old head injury.

Kennedy appeared in North Castle Town Court in New York last night to answer for the incident in which she crashed into a tractor-trailer around 8 AM. Cops said she failed multiple sobriety tests and exhibited slurred speech.

But Kerry says she may have accidentally told the cops she had taken an Ambien sleeping pill that day ... but says she was mistaken, claiming tests showed "no alcohol, recreational drugs or prescription medication in my system."

Kerry also claims she underwent neurological tests following the crash ... and an MRI revealed "an area of hyper density" in her brain which she claims is the result of an old head injury.

"This accident was caused not by a sleeping aid but by a complex partial seizure," Kerry said.

Kennedy -- daughter of Robert F. Kennedy -- is due back in court in August.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Faye

How do you "accidentally" tell the cops you took an Ambien?

MP

So I guess seizure will be the excuse du jour.

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

What's with all the seizures lately? Must be some kind of virus going around? Surgeon General? Anybody?

55vineyard

As someone who suffered from seizures from age 4 until the early 1980s I really get depressed when I read these stories, if people have epilepsy or seizure disorder an EEG can detect it easily. I still take my meds since I live in Southern California and want to be able to drive, even though my last few tests were normal. Play it safe.

Tinkmstbu

This could be true. I have 2 aunts who have epilepsy; one of whom had a seizure half a block in her neighbourhood. She too was accused of being drunk or on drugs, neither of which were true (shes never liked beer or alcohol). Tho she knew she shouldn't drive she had no other means and kept her seizures a secret until that day, when she crashed into a neighbours mailbox.

Scorpion

She's such a liar Ambien will do that to a person and memory loss is the Magor part of Ambien i am one of tho people who take it at night so i can sleep with my CPAP machine for Sleep Apnea. Also Memory is the #1 Side Affect of taking Ambien at Bedtime cause you wont really remember the night before the next morning but bits and peices . So In all i Find Her A LIER AND just another PSYCO Kennedy that will here someday she OVERDOSED.

MrCrowley73

Who gives a rats ass about this chick?

Scorpion

Shes so full of it anyone who takes Ambien knows for a FACT MEMORY IS #1 Side Affect and that is almost every morning when someone wakes up from taking Ambien at Bedtime.

Joybubble55