« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chad Johnson

LIED TO DOLPHINS

In Desperate Attempt to Save Job

8/15/2012 6:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

081512_johnson_hard_knocks_short
Chad Johnson
lied to his coach's face this week in an effort to keep from being cut from the Miami Dolphins ... but it didn't work ... and Chad's humiliating termination was all caught on tape.

Johnson's ill-fated meeting with Coach Joe Philbin was captured by the crew at "Hard Knocks" ... a weekly HBO documentary series following the Dolphins which aired last night.

"Hard Knocks" cameras followed Johnson on the day after he was arrested for domestic battery ... when he met with Philbin at the Miami offices ... and tried to talk the Coach out of firing his ass.

During the very short meeting, Johnson told Philbin ... "Coach, I've never been in trouble before ... ever."

He lied.

As TMZ previously reported, Johnson was convicted of domestic violence back in 2000 ... after slapping his then-girlfriend during an argument. Apparently, the arrest slipped his mind.

But even if Chad would have been honest with his coach, it's highly unlikely he could've saved his job ... Philbin made it clear the organization didn't want to take a risk on an aging player with very little upside and a TON of risk.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

kitnplayn

Philbin ~ you are an arrogant azz. How about firing him for the purpose of sending a message that women are valued in your culture, instead of making her victimazation all about your sporting politics. Jackazzes, both of you.

dierdre

I'm not saying that Chad was right in what he did, but the thing that gets me is: That gold-digging bitch Evelyn Lozada will stay on Basketball Wives, and get paid. I think they are both at fault. She's known for being a gold-digger and goes after the pros with all the money. Can't stand her. PERIOD>>>>>.

susan beigel

No one should feel sorry for him or her for that matter. She was on a reality show where all the yelling and screaming and hitting was ok. Then he had already been in trouble for hitting in 2000. What kind of relationship do these two expect to have. Both need help.

Straight Talkin Texan

That's humiliating! I can't believe Chad would allow that footage to be released (IF he had a say about it). Then again, if he was okay with it being released, then maybe he's trying to get sympathy.

C Wash

Chad be sure to get that ring back from Mrs. Ochocinco....Also call Cheryl Burke (DWTS) and have her return the ring that you gave her. As your are unemployed and have babies to feed.

Jay0609

I think he was referring to “I never had a problem ever , throughout my years in the NFL"...That is not a lie.

Ya mama

Shut the **** up tmz!! Dumb ****s always insigating

Jane

I think he meant while he's been in the NFL, he's never been in trouble.

sscarzz

Wow!!! fired on camera... Doesn't he have to sign something>?

Proud2bBlack

Awe he still had his wedding band on. I really think Evelyn blew everything out of proportion. Unfortunate taking that man career away from him, knowing he was already skating on thin ice. This economy is no joke looking for employment. They should drop her also from Basketball wives and all media outlets she's a piss poor example of a television personality.

Ryanr91

Can I ask a question without getting skewered? I personally don't think a case from college means much in this instance. Who knows the situation he was in.... He used to party all the time, and if you follow him on twitter, a big night out for him lately has been a couple red bull and cranberry juices. His wife/ex wife (?) has a much longer history of violence. I want to hold judgement until he is proven guilty. Reading up on her, it doesn't seem inconceivable that she found this receipt, got angry, and head butted him. Done incorrectly to a bigger person can absolutely cause a gash. If he did hit her, then feel free to sling as much mud and pass judgement on him. I don't advocate hitting women, so if he did do this, let him have it.

Scott

Yet Big Ben keeps his job?

MIKE

What a dance! What ever happened to Your Fired Get The Puck Out Of My Face!

Lady Truth

Evelyn Lozado is TMZ's source for all or most of the Basketball Wives gossip. That's why these articles are slanted in her favor. It's because she's a gossip snitch. SMH

Pimpcessa

I don't care for either Chad or Evelyn, but I think it's just plain wrong to put his firing out there for the public. It's terribly humiliating, and you could see it in his face. They probably filmed him (or maybe all players firing) in an effort to keep the coach safe, or at least have proof of what happened if there's trouble. But that doesn't make it appropriate to show the world.