« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ryan Lochte

I'm TRADEMARKING

My Dumb Catchphrase ... JEAH!!!

8/17/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0816_ryan_lochte_grill_getty
Ryan Lochte
's annoying catchphrase "Jeah!" is a friggin' GOLD MINE -- at least that's what the swimmer believes ... because he just filed docs to lock up a trademark for the made-up word.

According to the trademark docs,  Ryan wants to use the word on sunglasses, workout DVDs, gift cards, mugs, drinking glasses, trading cards, calendars, posters, swimsuits, swim caps, sports hats, and water bottles.

In fact, Lochte's already getting the party started on his website -- selling "Jeah"-themed tees, hats, and sunglasses.

0816_ryan_lochte_jeahAccording to a 2009 interview, Ryan got the phrase from rapper Young Jeezy, who uses a similar word "Chea!" in his songs. Ryan says he changed it a little to "Jeah!" ... and says it means something "good." (skip to 1:00)

The trademark app is still pending.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Max

He should hook up with Hope Solo. Put those two fame whores in close vicinity of each other might create a black hole of suck and eradicate them both from the earth. Worth a try.

She's baaaack

I am going to run right out and get those items so I can wear them everywhere I go. I'll bet everyone will be wearing one and not be ashamed of looking like a major loser.

devilgirl

DBAG!

Mumra the Ever Living

Ryan Lochte proves you can be incredibly talented in one area and a total douche in all other aspects of your life.

Gretel

I think this line, especially the shades and T-shirts are an absolute necessity when riding the short bus to school this year (no offense to you short-busers). This would be worth putting your Survivor buffs aside to wear.

verlinda

Lock him up somewhere and let him out in 4 years

Insatiable

Umm Jay-Z used to say “Jeah” in his songs and in interviews back in the late 90s.

w

that f*cker, I was saying that word back in the 90's for crying out loud, I hope his request is denied, why is he wearing those teeth btw. pompass ass.

Cl33

Um... my brother has been saying 'JEAH' for 5 years now.... NOT original Ryan. Dumbass.

Phishie from Philly

Jeah kidding me.
Phishie from Philly

imorena

FIRST OF ALL, JUELZ SANTANA MADE UP JEAH YEARS AGO. RYAN IS A CORNBALL FROM CORNYBURG, PA. DRINK BLEACH MY FRIEND, DRINK BLEACH.

Phishie from Philly

Jeah kidding me.
Phishie from Philly

Ramon Romero

That was MC Eigt's word back in the 90's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADvE9Q6u3M

dangeruscurvs

Sorry, but MC Eiht of Compton California coined that one in 1980-something...

ashyknuckles74

A rapper by the name of MC Eiht made that catch phrase up back in 1990.