« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ryan Lochte

Jeah! Copyright Battle

Looming with Compton Rapper

8/18/2012 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0817-ryan_lochte_mc_eihtU.S. Olympic hero Ryan Lochte might have an unexpected speed bump on his way to trademarking the phrase "Jeah!" in the form of 90s rap star MC Eiht, who claims the phrase was his long before it was Lochte's.

Eiht tells TMZ he coined the phrase back in 1988 and is insulted to hear Lochte is trying to claim it as his own now. Eiht tells us, "Why try and trademark something his ass didn’t even create? I am mad that he isn’t giving me proper recognition for taking my saying. He is just disrespectful."

The Compton's Most Wanted rapper tells TMZ he's not so much concerned about the money as he is the "respect and the truth."

Eiht says he plans on sending a cease and desist letter urging Lochte to stop using his phrase.

Lochte's manager tells us, "Ryan has been using JEAH for years," adding, "This is the first I have heard of this claim by MC Eiht."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

RoadRig

Relax, nuthin' but a "c" thing won't solve it baby! Send the MC a 6-figure check and everybody wins :D

TM

i want to copyright the word "the"!

Poor Leno

Dump asses. I used that 20 years a go in Norway, and only idiots trademark a common word. Ryan Lochte better check if others didnt use that phrase before you or else you get lawyers crawling up your ass..

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

A misspelled version of the word "yes" is a phrase now?

I'm off, need to register my trademark for "naw"...

MeechDawg

JEAH has been a registered trademark for over a decade... Both these idiots need to look things up before trying to cash in.

Dantastik75

Lochte is an idiot for this claim and all the ignorant comments about "real music" and such are just a stupid. Those fools are missing the point. Lochte is trying to lay claim to something he didn't have anything to do with. Stick to swimming douche bag...

nevetsride

It never ceases to amaze me how racist & small minded some of you people are when it comes to making comments. I won't go as far as saying you're brave in voicing your opinion, because after all most of you tend to only do that anonymously like ABB. Now about the subject at hand. We all know people are trying to always think of a new way to market themselves and Lochte is no different. Trying to coin a new catch phrase, talking about being on dancing with the stars or the bachelor or even wanting to get into acting which btw after seeing his cameo on bh90210 he should definitely stick to doing what he does best. Even Ron Howard when asked about his performance tried to say in the most diplomatic way as possible that he sucked. Him trying to copyright the phrase jeah! Is similar to when Paris Hilton tried to copyright " that's hot". people in the hood have been saying it long before they were, much so that it it isn't even said anymore as it's now considered old. People this has nothing to do with Lochte's accomplishments as an Olympian & the fact that mc eight is a rapper from Compton so all the nonsense about who Lochte is & who mc eight is get over it. You have 2 guys just basically wanting credit for a saying which for the record. Mc eight has been saying way before as BEEZLEBUM has stated. I grew up listening to the group Compton's Most Wanted & at the beginning of each track he started off with that. Now Looking at SEALAB2012 I really wouldn't expect you to know who mc eight or any other rapper coming out of Compton is lol but I'm sure you know who jay z is right?? As far as it being drival you're right it does but I'm pretty sure if you have kids that they're quoting many of these lines & catch phrases fhat are being spouted from many of the hip hop artists around today ignorant or not. Many fortune 500 companies have marketing campaigns aimed at kids hoping to make $$$ from it.

MaLi

U's a Bitch...Jeah!!!

Glory Bee

I find it hilarious that people try to copyright common phrases. Remember "That's hot"? Sheesh , (can I copyright "sheesh"?) people are so self absorbed they actually believe they own the words they utter. News flash (can I copyright "news flash"?) everyone uses words, get over yourself.

AdamMoore

Watch out Ryan this dude has way more experiance with the legal system. Rapper? That's just slang for ain't got no job crept selling rock on the street. Singin in the shower don't make you no rapper fool

Doc

Tell the dumbass lawyer and Loche to listen to any MC Eiht song they want or watch Menace 2 Society for proof they stole it from him.

Phillygirl

Lochte picked up a lot of stuff hanging around black ppl, his swagger the low riders the shoes the whole thing is an act. He had a black girlfriend until recently when she became not kosher for his "image" now they both deny it. He reminds me of an early Mark Walhberg "Marky Mark" who was a wiger and now ain't so down with the bro's anymore. That slogan has been out there since I was a kid. Lochte is a dushbag. Eye candy is all he is good for

Arther Chos

Ryan Lochte did not create Jeah ! MC Eiht fo sho! I remember him !

I know another Jeah too. Jeah was my web host from 1998 - 2011 (I only left them because my restaurant shut down). Jeah rocked. Jeah owned a United States trademark too. Yes I do remember all of their email to me stated something like " Jeah is our registered and protected United States trademark " at the bottom.

Their full name is Jeah Communications www.jeah.net. TMZ should interview them too.

Between MC Eiht and Jeah Communications I think Ryan Lochte is going to find himself in hot water.

Here is my question - did Ryan Lochte's lawyers do due diligence before unleashing this on the media ? Or did giant egos and billable hours make sure they simply did not care ?

Mumra the Ever Living

just a test for strikethrough

pragmatist

Eiht has been using JEAH longer than Lochte has been ALIVE!!!!!!! This is going to be an open and shut win for Eiht. Lochte has NO ground for the claim, and Eiht has 2 decades of recorded Audio AND Video of him using the phrase! Give it up Lochte

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6