« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Penn State

'Sweet Caroline' BANNED

from Football Sing-a-longs

8/27/2012 10:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0827_penn_State_lions_neil_diamond_article_4
Neil Diamond's classic "Sweet Caroline" will no longer be played at Penn State football games because the lyrics have been deemed inappropriate ... in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

The song ...with the lyrics, "touching me, touching you" ... has been a traditional fan sing-a-long at Penn State football home games, but school officials have decided to cut it from the playlist -- for obvious reasons.

But here's the thing, tons of pro and college teams -- most famously the Boston Red Sox -- use the song ... which Diamond has said was inspired by a photo of a then 11-year old Caroline Kennedy with her pony.

So we gotta ask -- if the song's inappropriate at PSU's Beaver Stadium, is it inappropriate for all sporting events?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

trickyrick

Wait a sec .... Penn State plays out of a place called Beaver Stadium? LOL.

trickyrick

Penn State plays out of a place called Beaver Stadium? LOL ...

susanne

maybe they should change the name of the stadium..Beaver Stadium?

Different Rules Apply

Absolutely twisted that anyone would take Neil Diamonds song and make it perverted. It's those sickos who raped those kids and the sickos who turned their backs and did nothing that are the problem. A song is just a song, and this one is SWEET!!

Atlgb

New Penn State Theme Song: "Can I Touch You There" by Michael Bolton

Baby, show me what you feel
Come to me, show me somethin' real
I need to know, I need you completely
(closer, baby, closer) Come on closer, baby (let's begin)
Love is takin' over, gotta let it in
Ooh and I need to feel the heart of you
I need to reach the very deepest part of you

[Chorus]
Can I touch you there, touch you deep inside
Can I touch your heart, the way you're touchin' mine
Can I touch you there, touch you deep within, oh
Can I touch you there, can I touch you oh...(there)

Tj1977

So instead they'll play gary glitters rock n roll- who for the record is the biggest kiddie fiddler of all time. About time the tv and radio followed other countries lead and not play music by these perverts - everytime tv plays -royalties pay these sickos to keep doing what they do.

Cindy

Stupid.

jeannie

Any word, any action can be twisted into evil if that's the way you want to live. If I lived in Pa and was a fan, I would still cheer my team on. The students did no wrong . The university made many horrible decisions and if I had a vote, I'd send everybody invovled to Siberia. I'm a true blue LSU but since we don't play you. GO PSU.

jeannie

Reading the posts I see TMZ can really pull in some sickos, possibly perverts too

Faye

Penn State has lost their mind. THere is not a thing wrong with this song.

Shelley

Ban it everywhere. Oh, I don't care about the lyrics or what inspired it. It's just a horrendous song. Ew.

sidithers

Just ban this whole damn pathetic school

Even after a thousand yrs this despicable school will forever be remembered as Pedophile State University

DEBBIE

SO THE STADIUM NAME BEAVER IS OK,,JUST SAYIN

sidithers

Any employer who reads that a potential employee has a degree from PSU will think
Oh, the pedophile school

Jenn

So stupid to ban such an innocent song!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments