« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bautista's 1st MMA Opponent

REPLACED

Arrested Week Before Fight

10/1/2012 3:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1001_bautista_getty
Bautista's very first professional MMA fight was nearly scrapped this week when his opponent was arrested for a probation violation ... but TMZ has learned organizers have dug up a replacement fighter just in the nick of time.

The fight has been in the works for months ... the ex-WWE champ was slated to get in the ring with Rashid Evans (not the one from the UFC) at a CES MMA event in Providence, Rhode Island.

But a rep for the event tells us ... Evans was scratched from the fight card when he was arrested for violating his probation some time last week ... and once again, it seemed like fate was going to prevent Bautista's MMA career from ever getting started.

Event organizers scrambled to find a replacement fighter -- a guy named Vince Lucero stepped up ... which could be a HUUUUGE problem for Bautista because Lucero has been in more than 40 pro fights.

In fact, Lucero has gone toe-to-toe with a bunch of legitimate MMA studs ... including former UFC Heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia (Sylvia won that fight).

The fight is still scheduled to go down Saturday at 8pm ET.

Good luck.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Anonymous

Do you think he takes roids? :)

Phishie from Philly

I don't like the roids but the roids like me.
Phishie from Philly

Phishie from Philly

I only took roids once, Everyday for the last 20 years.
Phishie from Philly

Phishie from Philly

I lift things up then I out them down, I lift things up then I put it down.

gibbsysgirl

Who cares?!?!?!

DaveT

Batista's pretty bad ass, be interesting to watch him in MMA fights, lot of difference between the wrestling ring and MMA ring, still he's really dedicated to his athletic goals, think he might whoop some ass

scott

Does Harvy have the hots for shot fighters and pro wrestlers ? I can't think of any other reason that TMZ covers this crap so religiously

Justin

they failed to mention lucero is 22-22 and was on a 9 fight losing streak...the guy is well past his prime and shouldn't be fighting anymore. still hoping he knocks out this joke pro wrestler.

jennlinds1231

I haven't seen Lou Diamond Phillips since La Bamba.

Is it me or did that f'ng cat get huge since then?

CGGirl

The guy he's fighting is a washed up has been with like 10 kids... This fight should be cake.

Jay W.

Dave Batista is one big Mofo! Should be good entertainment.

Brooke

Batista looks like a Jersey shore reject

just because

dana white should let the REAL rashad evans beat his ass like best of the best 2

just because

WWE aint going no where we aint

Jay Markowitz

MMA will never be taken seriously as long as they pull this kinda crap.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments