« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Baltimore Ravens Star

Gay Marriage Debate

WON'T Destroy Our Team

10/2/2012 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1002_brendon_matt_01

The Baltimore Ravens are a team divided ... at least when it comes to the topic of gay marriage ... but one of the players tells TMZ he's adamant the war behind the scenes will NOT affect the team on the field.

The gay marriage debate was kicked in to high gear this week when center Matt Birk published an article defending "traditional marriage" ... in response to the pro-gay marriage letter punter Chris Kluwe had written to an anti-gay marriage politician in Maryland.

Now, linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo -- a longtime, outspoken defender of gay marriage -- tells TMZ ... the topic is SHELVED when the guys put on the pads.

“On the field, we’re on the same accord ... When we come to work, we’re on the same page.  One goal and that’s to win a championship.”

Ayanbadejo tells us ... many of his teammates have discussed the issue with him ... but Birk wasn't one of those guys.

However, Ayanbadejo says Birk did give him a heads up about the anti-gay marriage letter before it was published.

“We had a conversation about other things, about him and our relationship, not about us being on different sides,” Ayanbadejo told TMZ.

Brendon says his family and Matt’s family spend time together socially, and their kids like to play together.  That won’t change. But Brendon says he hopes to have a deeper discussion about the issue with Birk sometime in the future.

“Of course I disagree with his stance, but I’m not gonna tell someone how to raise their kids,” Ayanbadejo tells us.  “He wants the world to be a better place for his kids."

“I think just from where we’re heading, his kids will grow up to have a different opinion from him, I’ll just leave it at that.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jeff Becker

How horrible Matt Birk is to defend traditional marriage? Really? What has happened to this country when people are demonized for their belief in God and basic principles of Christianity? Why is tolerence only acceptable if you agree with the left's positions? How about some tolerence for the principle's that this great nation was founded on?

ChefOdin

Kluwe wrote a nice rebuttal to Birk's column

OG

I'm done with TMZ. Every other article is about immoral gay marriage. Give it up Atheists!

A-ME

Whether it is defending equal marriage rights or "traditional" marriage, why is it only acceptable to defend gay marriage? I am just curious, because I thought we were allowed to believe what we want in this country and PEACEFULLY voice our opinions.

I am all for equal rights when it comes to marriage, but it doesn't seem right that those that defend traditional marriage are scrutinized when they voice their opinions.

And marriage, for anyone, is a ridiculous concept anyhow. Very few people stay married anymore. Gay or straight. Just love each other.

Greg

Please do not refer to it as Gay Marriage but as Marriage Equality.

leslie oberg

I'm sorry, but I don't understand all the hate. I'm straight and was married once. My marriage failed. I refuse to re-marry until All my friends have the same right. You see, if I have the right to marry, and then divorce, my friends should be allowed the same right. If you have an issue about those of the same gender loving each other, maybe you have issues about your own sexuality. If you're secure, why does it creep you out?

Jim Davis

Greetings, I am a 30 year Veteran of the U.S. Air Force, and an Raven Fan living in Essex, MD. I do NOT appreciate center Matt Birk voicing his ignorant prejudice against gay citizens who are fans of the Baltimore Ravens. I applaud players like Brendon Ayanbdejo, who support ALL fans of the Ravens. I understand from this post on my computer, that the Ravens are divided on Equal Rights for ALL Americans. Well, Raven Fans are not divided in our support of our Team. I do NOT appreciate any Raven Player, who thinks that I do not deserve the same equal rights that Matt Birk enjoys.

GabriellaDieleLock

What's the problem with people having an opinion about something?

If you don't like gay marriage, fine.
If you like gay marriage, fine.

But I don't want anybody shoving it down my throat that I have to think a certain way to be socially accepted.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3