Anderson Cooper

Rips Star Jones

Gay Announcement Was No Ratings Ploy

10/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

100412_cooper

Anderson Cooper just BLASTED Star Jones ... claiming the former "View" host was talking out of her lying, irrelevant ass when she claimed Anderson's gay announcement was a ratings ploy.

Cooper was shooting a segment of "Anderson Live" with Bravo bigshot Andy Cohen ... when Cohen asked A.C. if he felt any different after coming out publicly back in July.

That's when Anderson dropped the truth bomb:

"I will say and I actually haven't mentioned this, the only thing that did kind of annoy me and actually it annoyed my mom who brought it up to me, Star Jones of all people."

He continued, "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. I was unaware she was even on TV still ... but she apparently shows up on a morning show."

"Out of the blue Star Jones ... said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."

On the show, which airs today, Cooper says Jones couldn't have been more wrong -- 'cause he was on assignment in Africa when he decided to quietly make the announcement in an email to a journalist friend, who posted the letter online.

"If I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on 'A Very Special Episode' that would have been promo'd for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials ... 'Anderson's Huge Announcement.'"

"As memory serves, in terms of boosting ratings, I seem to recall [Star] hocking her wedding every single day to get free products when she was on 'The View' and I seem to recall her lying about her gastric bypass surgery and making everybody else lie about it as well. So for her to suddenly emerge out of the shadows and suddenly attack me for this, I couldn't believe it."

Cooper says he invited Star to his show to discuss her comments, but she turned him down.

"I would think she would want as much publicity as possible given her penchant for wanting publicity."

Snap.

the crazy betty

anderson sounds like a chick. it's weird. anyway, anyone who knows anything about this knows that anderson's ratings are in the toilet - nobody cares about this stupid show. it sucks... and so does he.

GB

Soon as I read the headline, I had to think back to when Star married her now-ex. And yeah, I definitely recall a point when all Star did was talk about the marriage and how much she loved her (ex-)husband. Sounds like she just wants attention and the spotlight...again.

Sue

Star Jones? Tired as her show! Stay home with kid your always (snore) talking about! People love Anderson Cooper. Can't say the same for you!

Eileen

I love Anderson Cooper. Who is Star Jones?

Phishie from Philly

Just because Star Jones name has the word star in it doesn't make her a star. Go eat a meatloaf and leave the gays alone because you're unhappy with your carear!
Phishie from Philly

Phishie from Philly

O, he's doing it for ratings and publicity just like your doing now. What a hypocritical beouch.

Truth

Black people hate gay people like no one else. It really isn't news. It's always hilarious to watch Democrats try to deny it though.

tgrfan42069

not a fan of star.but he did do it for ratings.the gay agenda is getting old.if you have to make shows and what not to convince people your life style choice is normal then it may not be so normal.

Garbo

Yeah, Star is a ****.

Garbo

Thats T¡W:A°T.

jokerchick

well she WAS married to the gayest dude on the planet so she would know

Jackie

Anderson would have said to her...so what...it's my show b*tch. Jones ego is as big as her fat azz.

isaiah

of course it was for ratings!! why else would someone wait until their 45 years old with a new show to come out?! Not fond of Star Jones but she called it.

JB

Oh Anderson, you never "came out"as the whole knew. Maybe it makes you feel personally like some kind of advocate because you say it out loud, but grow up, that's like saying we are waiting for Little Richard t o come out.

We all knew from your effeminite laugh, to your soft voice you were gay and from the way you reported on that very issue (remember in the '80's when they talked like a "gay" we'd all go - oh no there not gay and everyone not gay denied they were gay, and all of them, elton, liberace, george michael, etc were flaming)

And Anderson we all know you have too much sense to hold a CNN "coming out" party if you wanted ratings because you'd be laughed off and ridiculed mercelessly. Maybe you're just becoming another madonna and britney where the foreigners will see you and you become a gay icon but most don't like what you do. So yeah - it was about ratings - you just knew "how" to do it - you've been around long enough

Woot

Not to worry, A... you've already dibs got the high road.