Ukrainian Singer

Suing Over 'Call Me Maybe'

Carly Rae Stole My Song!

11/8/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1107_Aza_youtube
UKRAINE NOT WEAK ... Ukraine sue -- at least that's what one hot Ukrainian singer is doing, claiming Carly Rae Jepsen shamelessly stole her slutty Christmas song ... and turned it into "Call Me Maybe."

The singer -- who goes by Aza -- is filing the lawsut in L.A., claiming "Call Me Maybe" is a carbon copy of her song "Hunky Santa" ... which producers simply tweaked before adding Carly Rae Jepsen's voice.

According to the lawsuit -- to be filed today by Aza's lawyer Barry Rothman -- she's suing for unspecified damages ... but based on how insanely popular "Call Me Maybe" is, a ton of money's on the line.

Aza tells us, "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song. They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."

As for how similar the songs REALLY are -- you be the judge.

Scooter Braun -- Justin Bieber's manager -- is also named in the suit.

Carly's rep tells TMZ, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."

UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU?!?!

SoWhat

Not even close to the same thing.

BB not bb

That was one of the worst videos I have ever seen, that slutty Santa thing. It doesn't look or sound like Carly's video at all. Maybe she just wishes it did. Maybe she is in the mob and just trying to shake down Carly for money.

That Santa video was so poorly done on nearly every level, I couldn't take the torture of watching the whole thing.

Fuck Celebrities

When does she start singing in the video?

sniffle24

"hot Ukranian singer" Umm..define hot?

Lynn317

Well ... both songs include the word "call" which would make them completely identical songs, yes?. Hey come to think of it, I made up a song when I was 5 years old that included the word "call" ... Excuse me while I call my lawyer.

zombie

A hot Ukranian singer???? Are you people at TMZ serious with that? The woman is as old as dirt, she has a jiggly muffin top, leatherette skin and Barbie's have more natural looking hair. By TMZ standards I am super model status.

beerczar

If this bitch is claiming she has rights to "call me", then Blondie might have something to say about that.

Harlo

Now I feel like suing TMZ for making me watch that horrible video with that awful song! You've ruined Christmas for me now.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Barely similar but that blonde 1980's looking woman sounds more like some C-list anime cartoon than music anyone would pay for.

chloe

My ears are bleeding

who dat

Both songs are trashy and annoying

jheryn

I guess the guys in the video kind of resemble each other, but the songs. Um... no.

noneya

I didn't know there was a song that was worse than "Call Me Maybe" Thanks for ruining my morning TMZ!

pecos

that video made me want to wash my eyes with bleach

kitnplayn

OMG that was painful to listen to.