Ukrainian Singer

Suing Over 'Call Me Maybe'

Carly Rae Stole My Song!

11/8/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1107_Aza_youtube
UKRAINE NOT WEAK ... Ukraine sue -- at least that's what one hot Ukrainian singer is doing, claiming Carly Rae Jepsen shamelessly stole her slutty Christmas song ... and turned it into "Call Me Maybe."

The singer -- who goes by Aza -- is filing the lawsut in L.A., claiming "Call Me Maybe" is a carbon copy of her song "Hunky Santa" ... which producers simply tweaked before adding Carly Rae Jepsen's voice.

According to the lawsuit -- to be filed today by Aza's lawyer Barry Rothman -- she's suing for unspecified damages ... but based on how insanely popular "Call Me Maybe" is, a ton of money's on the line.

Aza tells us, "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song. They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."

As for how similar the songs REALLY are -- you be the judge.

Scooter Braun -- Justin Bieber's manager -- is also named in the suit.

Carly's rep tells TMZ, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."

UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU?!?!

CECE

I couldn't get through "Hunky Santa" without laughing!
Good Luck A ZA insane! lol

Michelle17

She is completely delusional.

Scary

Wow, just wow. Why does the Ukraine put out this weird, hypersexual, crappy music? Wasn't Mel Gibson's ex also from that area? Yeah, they're both crappy pop songs, but that's about all they have in common.

Jen

I think it's obvious the songs are absolutely nothing alike in any way whatsoever.

Aza is embarrassing her country by PURPOSELY playing into the stereotype and then making a ridiculous accusation to get attention. This whole thing was obviously thought out, this is such a self-parodying song that all you can conclude is that she wanted to go viral and this song was purely made for that to be launched by later casually following lawsuit.

jewelgrl

Not that I like the Carly Rae Jepsen song, but this Ukrainian chick is reaching. Doesn't sound anything like it. Someone is just trying to cash in on some media attention.

trose44

LMAO ok that was a total joke, those two songs sound absolutley nothing a like, but the guy with the santa hat is hot. hahahahah

waffles

If anything, AZA ripped off Alanis Morrissette a tiny bit.

JimmyFlim

I am seeing a similarity... they're both awful songs that belong on the eternal damnation playlist.

columbo

HOLD ON FOLKS - Take a look at the producer's name at the end of the video - Clarence Jey - That's the same clown who did Rebecca Black's "Friday!" I suppose if you're delusional enough to think that "Friday" was a great production then it's not much of a stretch to think that "Call Me Maybe" and "Hunky Santa" sound alike.

Phebes

That is just sad...they don't even sound remotely similar...seems a little shady and desperate...

flyspygrl

This Ukrainian hoe just wanted all of us to listen to her song!! We are the suckers here =(

Gabby

Aza u is a dumb b@tch! Im not fan Carly Rae but even i know that sh@t dont sounds the same. Lets think a little before accuse, sweet heart.

Jake

So 17% of people who voted in this are COMPLETELY TONEDEAF? Of course they're nothing alike...but she was smart enough to get us to listen to her song. And naming Scooter in the suit? Cute, considering the song was released here in Canada two years ago...way before Carly hooked up with the Braun machine.

CristalGayl

"Hunky Santa" >>>> "Call Me Maybe"

MikeP