Ukrainian Singer

Suing Over 'Call Me Maybe'

Carly Rae Stole My Song!

11/8/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1107_Aza_youtube
UKRAINE NOT WEAK ... Ukraine sue -- at least that's what one hot Ukrainian singer is doing, claiming Carly Rae Jepsen shamelessly stole her slutty Christmas song ... and turned it into "Call Me Maybe."

The singer -- who goes by Aza -- is filing the lawsut in L.A., claiming "Call Me Maybe" is a carbon copy of her song "Hunky Santa" ... which producers simply tweaked before adding Carly Rae Jepsen's voice.

According to the lawsuit -- to be filed today by Aza's lawyer Barry Rothman -- she's suing for unspecified damages ... but based on how insanely popular "Call Me Maybe" is, a ton of money's on the line.

Aza tells us, "I'm shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song. They didn't ask me for permission, they just took it. That's why I filed this lawsuit. When I first heard it on the radio, I was driving and almost got into an accident. I couldn't believe what I was hearing."

As for how similar the songs REALLY are -- you be the judge.

Scooter Braun -- Justin Bieber's manager -- is also named in the suit.

Carly's rep tells TMZ, "This is completely false and [Carly's] lawyers will deal with this. Everyone knows [Carly] is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."

UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU?!?!

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Bianca

my friend and i just attempted to sing call me maybe over aza's beautiful masterpiece hunky santa. sorry AZA QUEEN, they're not even close

Emm

The only similarities are that they both say here's my number and they're both older woman trying to act/look young and get with young guys.
This is just an attempt to get her name out there and become known. Sad

Sensibility

This skeezer needs to be counter sued for trying to soil Carly Rae Jepsen's song with that crap of a production. They DO NOT relate in anyway shape or form other than one of the opening lines, call me.

That's a bogus lawsuit to get attention if not for her self but for that Crass of a song she put out given the upcoming Christmas season.

mccann25

There two songs are about similar as a glove and a boot, I don't see any parallel whatsoever, except the idea of gime your number, how would anyone draw a correlation between Carly's AWESOME song, and this sluts garbage.

mccann25

fan of everything

AZA is crazy, she almost kill someone for nothing

dwayne butcher

Just another no talent singer trying to make it on the back of someone with talent. The creative suffer at the hands of those of lesser talent , despite this was maybe the only way to get her trashy no class talentless piece of crap song noticed by someone other than those like her self. I think Carly should counter sue due to public slander but she might have more class than that unlike the other party.

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8