« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manti Te'o

Notre Dame's Story

Sinks Manti

1/17/2013 3:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0117_mate_tao_getty
Manti Te'o continued to tell people his girlfriend died of cancer even after he learned it was all a big hoax ... and this is according to Notre Dame's public version of the facts.

During a news conference Wednesday night, ND Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said ... Manti told ND officials that he first learned the whole thing was a hoax when he received a call from his GF's phone number during an ESPN award show in December ... months after she was presumed dead.

The ESPN college football awards ceremony took place in Orlando on Dec. 6 -- but just two days later, on Dec. 8, Te'o gave a statement to reporters in anticipation of the Heisman Trophy ceremony, in which he continued to perpetuate the belief that his girlfriend had died from cancer.

Te'o told reporters ... “I don’t like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer,” this according to WSBT-TV.

We now know Manti's statement wasn't true -- and by Notre Dame's own account, Manti lied.

It begs the question -- what else did he lie about?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Dave

On the other hand pretend girlfriends are a lot cheaper and don't bitch and complain all the time...

Mike

I bet the woman who "catfished" Manti Te'o is likely to be a fat, ugly, lonely, bitter loser of a woman who just wants to create a little soap opera drama for her own amusement.

Yes, I suppose there's plenty of sicko women out there on the internet along with the sicko guys.

Bravo600

Am I reading this correctly? A. He is lying to garner sympathy to help his chances with the draft or Heisman trophy, or B. He is dumb as a doornail for believing an online contact is his “girlfriend” without ever meeting her for something like two years, and he didn't think it odd to not attend her funeral. Take your pick. The only winner is Lance Armstrong who has been bumped from the spots headlines.

Throwback kid

Manti Teo seems to have no character at all, a real man would have come clean with this by now but he seemed to enjoy all the attention he was getting telling stories about his make believe girlfriend. Instead of pro football Manti Teo should go into politics instead, he would be perfect for the job, a liar with no character, put him in congress!

R213

Dude ISNT nuts...and I can tell you from experience..because it happened to ME. It wasn't 3 years..it was one. BUt there's an UNBELIEVABLE amount of similarities from indiana to hawaii..Manti needs to get in touch with me..I have proof of the rouse...from people, to witness' to others she was after...and it's the exact same..interestingly, she returned to life at the SAME TIME as the one with Manti. GET IN TOUCH THROUGH EMAIL ADDRESS

Fuck Celebrities

He's either monumentally stupid or certifiably insane.

Home Skillet

This story confuses the eff out of me.

Chorizo300

He is hiding that he is gay!! He will be the first active gay NFL player!!!

Jem

He seems like a typical sociopath. Sociopaths love to make woe is me stories, to garner pity from people. For some reason, they really like sympathy and pity for people. He's not crazy, and he wasn't duped. He's just a manipulative sociopath. Come on, he told the parents of a girl stricken with his cancer, this same sob story. A true sociopath. You can look at the interview of him on youtube, where he's mentioning this supposed death of the girlfriend, and he has a smile on his face the whole time. That's typical sociopath behavior. He was actually getting off on telling people this lie.

R213

Dude ISNT nuts...and I can tell you from experience..because it happened to ME. It wasn't 3 years..it was one. BUt there's an UNBELIEVABLE amount of similarities from indiana to hawaii..the cancer to the crazy reasons...not only that, she also just sprang back to life..seems instead of dying she was running from an online "stalker"..Manti needs to get in touch with me..I have proof of the rouse...from people, to witness' to others she was after...and it's the exact same.

Jem

They really like sympathy and pity FROM people, not for people, sorry grammatical mistake.

TAN

Not sure TMZ's brilliant investigative reporting is a smoking gun to anything. All this tells me is what we already knew before Swarbrick spoke:

(1) Manti either was perpetuating a story he just learned was a hoax.

(2) Manti still wasn't sure what the December 6 call meant.

(3) Manti was perpetuating the hoax he masterminded.

EarlyCuyler

Manti = Creepy

Joey

Liar to the Extreme Notre Dame is the next Penn State scandal

khoran

This really is not that strange , men have always lied on their selves. , juveniles definitely do it . I remember we you to sat we had a girlfriend when we were younger and we would say "where she at" and the response would be " She live in my grandmother's neighborhood because we know no one can deny or confirm our lies but us. This is just on a national level

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments