« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Beyonce

Sings National Anthem LIVE

Suck It, Haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/31/2013 12:00 PM PST UPDATED: 1/31/2013 12:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Beyonce was on a mission today to PROVE she can sing the national anthem like a pro – belting out a LIVE version of "The Star-Spangled Banner” moments ago on TV … without the help of a backing track ... and she KILLED IT.

Beyonce was at the news conference for her upcoming Super Bowl halftime show when she launched into the impromptu performance -- and when she finished the song, she simply said, “Any questions?”

During the conference, Bey was asked about the lip-syncing situation at the Presidential Inauguration last week, and she admitted she used a backing track -- claiming, "I am a perfectionist ... I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra [at the Inauguration]. It was a live television show and a very important moment for me."

013113_beyonce_inauguration
Beyonce added, "Due to the weather, due to the delay, due to no proper sound check, I did not feel comfortable taking the risk … so I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track, which is very common in the music industry. And I’m very proud of my performance."

A reporter then asked Beyonce if she planned to sing live at the Super Bowl, and she replied vaguely, "I always sing live" ... but she didn't say whether she planned to use a backing track as well.

When asked about a possible Destiny’s Child reunion at this Sunday's halftime show – Beyonce hedged on the answer.

So let this settle it once and for all ... girl can sing.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bossy Potato

Ugh, such a loser. I can't even stand her.

Jordan

Why did she need 11 days to do this?

mellow

haters hater haters! on these website bunch of jealous people who sit behind computers talking sh*t on people all day!! there is no better performer in the game right now that is better then Beyonce everybody knows at. They have been trying for years to pen some kind of scandal on B so the inauguration was what they used to create any kind of scandal guess what that still does not stick to her!! cause she was singing over a backing track like most artist do!! ha ha haters still can't touch Queen Bee

Marzbar

THIS is exactly what celebs mean when they say, "They can pick you up, and bring you right back down"! People are so rude, stupid and mean! The Girl Is BAD! IT'S BEYONCE FOR GOODNESS SAKES. If She leaves the music industry, we'll never dance again!!

robin

Alicia keys, Kelly clarkson nor did Jennifer Hudson fake it. You just had to do it your way.....Fake it on our President's most important day....Aretha Franklin did not fake it either and she was fantastic.

Darrell

If Kelly Clackson had lip sing the National Anthem people would not made big deal out of it.

lmarie

The points wasn't if she could sing the National Anthem live...the problem was that she selected to Lip-Sync it when it was such a special moment and proformance for the President. She shouldv'e done it live on January 21.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Why are they having a news conference for the super bowl halftime show? Do they normally do this, because it seems stupid.

DaveT

Haha who cares the Super Bowl isn't about Beyonce it's about football, and about the 49ers winning ;)

Jordan

She sounded as the Presidential Inauguration was about her. If she did not have the time to prepare for it, another singer who had time to rehearse and sing with the Marine Corp Band should have done it.

Mark

"I always sing live" except for the times I am now admitting to using a recorded track.

MoBea

Too Late...Her priorities are way screwed up. Superbowl LIVE, Inauguration MEMOREX? And with an attitude to boot?!? Yeah, don't care.

robin

She can sing very well....Buy why did she choose our President's most important day to "Fake it". His people selected her to "SING" on this day. I am not hating on her, it was a historical day and she FARTED on it.

krys

Please STOP thinking so much of yourself Beyonce... it's Annoying!!!!

Marisa

I never questioned her ability to sing. I questioned her decision to lip-sync while Kelly Clarkson did it live. Was Kelly Clarkson given the option to lip-sync and decided to sing live or was just something they offered to Beyonce only?