Journey Guitarist

Sues Ex-Mother-in-Law --

Stop Trashing Me Online!

3/18/2013 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0318_neal-schon_getty2
Most people get to forget their in-laws after divorce ... but not Journey guitarist Neal Schon -- he's suing his ex-mom-in-law for defamation, claiming the woman is continuing to ruin his life ... by badmouthing him on the Internet.

Neal filed the defamation suit against Judy Kozan, the mother of Amber Schon -- whom Neal divorced in 2007 -- claiming Judy has "attacked and harassed" him through Internet postings and false comments to the media for years.

According to the lawsuit, Judy published a blog article in January, accusing Schon of not paying her daughter enough money to support herself -- letting their two little girls "go homeless," putting his ex "in a situation where she literally has no money for food, gas for the car, bills, nothing."

Schon says he's paid his ex amply ... more than $1.3 million to be exact ... and her mom's lies have tarnished his reputation, resulting in multiple media outlets accusing him of being a "deadbeat" dad.

He's suing for at least $75,000.

FYI -- Judy has since removed the offending blog post ... and replaced it with a post that sounds a lot like a retraction, in which she says the "deadbeat dad" reports are FALSE. Too little, too late?

Ivisu

No Michaele the hate button is not being pressed because people are full of hate it is just the coice that TMZ gave people rather that "dislike." I see you and Neal are busy gloating, not a flattering reaction. You prove what small people you are over and over again, that is why you bring out such a negative reaction in the public.

MeriJ

I can't imagine anyone disagrees that the Daily Mail verdict was thoroughly justified and an excellent precedent as well.
It also looked to me as though only three people had been here between the time you posted it and the time you commented on other clicking the hate button, and that number includes the two of you, so it is a little odd that three people have already hated that innocuous comment. Hmmm.
But seem you appear to be confused, the ill will you have attracted her stems from the vile and defamatory insults – whore, drunk, promiscuous giver of BJs, etc. -- you have hurled at three of Michaele’s female rivals and the ominous threats of retaliation you have made against people commenting on tabloid stories which you or your people have shoved in the public’s face.
And in my case, there will always be a certain degree of ill will from that deceitful post by your puppet Lynn, an alleged “witness,” whose comment was posted on Neal’s fan page a minute later, urging thousands of Journey fans to consider me a deranged stalker. (And yet you keep asking why most people don’t give their real names in these forums…)
But just to show you I am a fair person, I have “liked” comment 212. Indeed, let us all like that comment to set the record straight. There’s only so many times you can “hate” it yourself to get the screencap you are no doubt hoping for.

Ivisu

Merij while I have agreed with much of what you have written in these comments, but I will not 'like' comment #212 primarily for the reason which I have already stated above.

Also, because it was Neal and Michaele who blew everything up to get the attention that they crave. Rather than ignore the Daily Mail story, or going to the daily mail privately and wait for a retraction, they retaliated by releasing the court do***ents publicly to embarrass Amber. As I recall these do***ents were originally released by Neal's mommy on his Facebook page.

To add insult to injury, Neal files a lawsuit against his mother-in-law and also makes damn sure the public knows about it, further humiliating the Kozans and his own children.

Whould Neal have followed this course of action if he was not with Michaele? I doubt it. How many fabricated stories have they sold or leaked to the tabloid press? They are hypocrites of the first order.

Bottom line, the Daily Mail apologized which I believe is appropriate. But once again they have proved that they are very small, shallow and predictable human beings.

Ivisu

Michaele, what is it like to feel hollow inside?

LookingGlass

So now they post the apology all over both FB pages. Remember most are bought LIKES.

The kicker is the original Post is still ALL OVER THE INTERNET....

LookingGlass

I too think its a stunt, I was watching and saw the only concern from the beginning was hurting his reputation as a musician and the income that goes with it.

But lets continue this N&M this will give Judy more to fight you with !!!

MeriJ

The Daily Mail article was false and defamatory. They had no idea what Judy was writing about about and simply filled in the blanks. As it turned out, their assumptions were dead wrong. The resulting article was indeed harmful to his reputation. According to Judy, Neal has always been timely with his child support payments.
It's the continued digs at Judy Kozan that surprise me. I would have thought that in defeating the Daily Mail so thoroughly, Neal's lawyers would now know beyond doubt that the tabloid failed to interview Judy or get confirmation from her that N&M were the subject of the rant on her blog.
The statements in Judy’s blog concerned an agreement Amber believed she had with Neal to help cover her mortgage payments beyond the period stated in their divorce decree. It wasn’t about whether she felt she deserved more money, it was that she had planned her affairs on the assumption that he had already agreed to do so.
Supposedly, it was only at the last minute -- before the original support payments dropped to the significantly lower level agreed to in the divorce decree -- that Amber realized he had changed his mind. She missed mortgage payments, eventually sold the house but couldn't buy a cheaper one because she had ruined her credit in the process.
I just reread the family court order from January that presumably spurred Judy to post those comments to her blog. (The version I have is an exhibit to Neal’s lawsuit, with huge portions presumably less favorable to his case left out. I did not receive it from Judy.) The way I read it, that’s what all this was about. Amber wanted the court to hold him to a offer she thought he had agreed to via text message in October 2011.
His text message was presented in court as evidence, cheerfully agreeing to provide her a specific sum per month for a two-year period starting in August 2012.
Was Amber wise to have accepted a text message as a binding commitment? Were there subsequent events that paint a more complex story from what I read in that heavily redacted copy of the family court order? I have no earthly idea.
But these are the events that led to Judy’s angry yet vague statements in her “Hey Jude” blog. The dispute was never about Neal not paying his child support. That false notion was introduced by The Daily Mail. The dispute was about him allegedly withdrawing his offer to extend supplemental support at the last minute.
In response to the Daily Mail article, Neal’s mother angrily leaked all the paragraphs from the family court order that supported his side of the case -- how much Neal had been paying in the past (a lot!), that Amber hadn’t obtained her teaching degree, etc.
What a sad mess. Even sadder is that all these tabloid placements about Neal’s lawsuit against Judy have turned the matter into a public spectacle. A spectacle in which only one side's version of the story is being told. But, hello, it's never as simple as either side's version.
Based on what he originally offered Amber, Neal seems like a really great guy to me. The horrible stuff going on right now gives me pause, but I always remind myself that no one is at their best in situations like this. I just hope he comes to his senses and works it out privately.

LookingGlass

Whats the judges response ?

itsasecret

^^^^
AND YOUR POINT !

This was already considered and thrown out by the judge!! Thanks for trying to reeducate us but this is old news.
You are referring to a old order that is now public records!! anyone can order it..
You can get all of it for about $15 bucks...knock yourself out.

I realize you and JR had a "job" to do...but its over..the victory clearly goes to without a shadow of a doubt to the Legendary Guitarist Sir Neal J Schon and Miss Michaele S.

Time for you guys to get new clients asap:)

itsasecret

IF YOU "4" PUT THIS ACTIVE ENERGY INTO A NOTABLE CHARITY!! MAYBE YOU GUYS COULD RAISE HALF THE MONEY NEAL AND MICHAELE DID FOR JOHN HOPKINS IN BALTIMORE MARYLAND..THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO "Hmmm"

LookingGlass

So did she INSERT herself in the charity event?

Ivisu

Hi Michaele,

Wow, 81,300 Facebook likes. What did you purchase a 6(K) pack of Pakistanis?

itsasecret

Since you algae eaters wanna know...and Carin thinks she has facts! My sources have told me that it was solely Sir Neals idea to have Michaele host the show..
And that Paul Reed Smith (who is a best friend of Neals) said "even though I have been doing this for years this is by far the most successful to date"
The tickets they sold for the fashion show sold for a whopping $500.00 a pop and was way over sold past capacity!! Paul even asked Michaele and Neal to come back next year and do it again as it was the most successful!! I guess all the other ones Paul had in the past burned out your memory Carin..surely you would have remembered these facts if you were some how apart...your a fake know it all...so its understandable how you probably missed all of that important info.. .if your gonna come..come correct my dear...seems like your the one who is "mixed up" and may be suffering from amnesia
Also dont you ever tell me how much credit to give to Michaele!! she spent hours holding up guitars over her head auctioning them off without complaining...and this was all beyond the fashion show.. PRS LOVES HER AND SO DO WE!! **** OFF! BETTER YET GO **** EACH OTHER:)

LookingGlass

That charity is not about you Michelle its about CANCER. And I am happy they received so much money. So stop bragging about it. Looks like you are on your way to righting all your wrongs in regards to your FAKE charities!

Neal its well doc u ment ed, you know how to read right?

MeriJ

Intimidation by Neal's lawyer alleged in this comment today at The Washington Post:
cary_wiedermann_fan
10:51 AM EDT
Maybe they got an apology from Daily Mail, but what about Neal ordering his California lawyer Paul Berra to intimidate the fine people at the Fairfax Underground forums?
Neal and Paul should apologize for making threats to the board's owners. Additionally, I feel that reporting Paul to the The State Bar of California for his professional misconduct is warranted for making such threats without using his head in the first place.
Like · Reply · Share · Flag.