India.Arie

I Didn't Mean

To Look Light-Skinned

3/29/2013 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-india-arie-5
Afro-centric singer India.Arie -- famous for singing about her "Brown Skin" -- is now making excuses for the extremely light-skinned photo on the cover of her new single ... telling friends, her skin was NOT intentionally whitewashed.

There's been a lot of commotion about the new photo -- ironically, for her new song, "Cocoa Butter" -- because India's skin is noticeably lighter than what she really looks like ('memba Beyonce?).

But sources close to India tell TMZ, the criticism is ridiculous ... because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle. India never asked to be lightened.

But the fact remains ... India approved the photo, and HAD to notice it wasn't a true reflection of her skin color.

India just tweeted, writing, "Personally speaking! i'm happy to say I have NOT BLEACHED my skin LOL! ROTF at the thought."

She added, "1. I wouldn't endanger my health that way 2. i'm so in love with myself I have no DESIRE to BLEACH myself. 3. The GLOW you see IS (magnificent) lighting 4. THE LIGHT you see, Well thats all ME!!"

hotandcold

If you light a photo shoot with Klieg lights they will lighten anyone's skin color. Of course, only a fool would use lights that bright for a small area like a photo shoot. They are mainly used to illuminate stages and movie sets.

whocares

I'm white and I like my skin color

Mrugowsky

Guess you have to sell out to cross over. That's unfortunate.

a3196

it blows me away how racist African Americans are.
My children have a dark Mom and their skin goes from dark to light depending on if it is summer or winter. Such a big deal being made over someones skin colour. You lot need to get over yourselves and evolve we are in the 21st century...

laffnbear

If she approved the photo she has no room to say it is accidental.

Carmen

Black people's skin tone is very tricky. I've noticed my mom's sister go from tan to bright light in the winter time. However I believe she approved the lightening of her pic.

Truth

DESPERATE TO SWAGGER JACK BEYAAWWNCE... WHO SWAGGER JACKED IT FROM MJ... WHO SWAGGER JACKED FROM... WHITE CHICS. FACE IT, THE HAS-BEEN SINGER KNOWS WHITE CELEBS GET ALL THE BREAKS. PR IS JUST PUTTIN OUT THERE WUT PAYS THE BILLS. POINT BLANK! #TRUTH!!

ALR4EVER

I dont know what kind of cocoa shes buying, but the cocoa I buy is darker than that.. maybe cocoa isnt the right choice of word.

Cherice

She's a few shades late tho. Black men have graduated from the light skin ignorance and moved onto WHITE women. Keep bleaching, bitch!

kmarie

Wow!! I am officially offended by this. It does not take much to offend me, but seriously. She didn't mean to make her skin look so white.... what's wrong with being white? If I was a celebrity in the spotlight, and I had my picture taken and I said "I didn't mean to look so black"... I would have people up my ass chewing me out. Why is it that there's racism with every other race but Caucasian? I really don't understand it.

Bossy Potato

People just need to chill.

kisstheringfool

She just wanted prople to start talking about her again

kisstheringfool

People+

foreverOnline

Sure you didnt... Wink, wink..

kia

She doesn't even look "light skinned" tho...