« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

Magic's Support of Gay Son

IS AWESOME!

4/3/2013 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0402-kobe-bryan-ej-magic-johnson-tmz
Kobe Bryant is awestruck by a former Lakers star who rivals him -- Magic Johnson ... telling TMZ Magic's support of his gay son is a lesson everyone, including pro athletes, should learn.

TMZ broke the story ... Magic and Cookie are 100% behind their son, EJ, who is openly gay.  Kobe tells us ... "Of course Magic is supportive of and loves his son.  Why should anyone be surprised?"

Kobe says, "What I can't tolerate is a lack of tolerance."

The strong implication -- tolerance is not just limited to parents and their kids, but to pro athletes whose teammates may soon come out of the closet.

In case you aren't reading between the lines -- given Kobe's stature, his statement could have a huge impact on athletes coming out.

0402_earvin_johnson_III_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

SXQN

There is a great deal of intolerance to especially male homosexuality among the Black community. I have to say I wouldn't be "proud" my child was gay, but I would still love and support him/her as I always have. Be happy that they're happy.

Paul2281

I wonder if he can play basketball....

DrTyrell

Apparently they're supporting obesity, heart failure, and high blood pressure as well.

fleabag73

I really respect Magic and the example he's setting, not just in sports. His son is a young man that knows who he is, and getting an education and doing well.

A viewer

It's great his parents, Kobe whomever supports his gay lifestyle, and I'd do the same for my child. But the extremeness of his partying, flipping the bird, drinking (underage, right?) isn't something a parent should support and it isn't typical behavior, just complete extremism from someone who has obviously been given too much, too often, no boundaries - poor parenting, really. I hope he snaps out of it and realizes his excesses, but very doubtful.

angie

he's very flamboyant, but it's cool

Detective. LaToya

EJ must have been hanging around his daddy, Uncle Eddie, Uncle Johnny at those "all male parties" as a kid. lol. Seriously though even as a child you could tell he'd grow up to be gay. Look at those pictures, the boy had gay written all over him.

momofthree

Who cares if he's gay? He needs to go on a diet. I say that with love. His obesity us getting pretty bad and if dad loves him so much, he needs to take himto a gym. Now. Yesterday.

Timmy Boy

Magics behind him alright, thats how he got the HIV!!

chuck

i would rather be behind him and not in front of him

james spalding

**** MAGIC-KOBE AND EVERYBODY ACCEPTING HOMOSEXUALS AS GOOD ,ITS A MORALITY THING .HELL MAGIC GAY ,AND WE ALL KNOW IT.

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11