Lauryn Hill

I Didn't Pay and Didn't Play

'Cause of Terrifying Threats

4/15/2013 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0412_lauryn_hill_01Lauryn Hill claims she stiffed Uncle Sam on a massive tax bill for the same reason she fell off the map after the '90s -- scary threats to her and her family.

Lauryn just filed legal docs asking for mercy before her sentencing later this month, claiming there was a good reason she failed to file tax returns for 2005, '06 and '07 ... when she earned a total of more than $1.8 million. She already pled guilty and faces several years in prison.

According to docs ... Lauryn stopped paying taxes "when she withdrew from society at large due to what she perceived as manipulation and very real threats to herself and her family."

She's not specific about the threats -- but it's a new explanation for her mysterious disappearance from the music scene after her rise to fame in the '90s.

Lauryn previously claimed she went underground to get back in touch with her musical roots.

Lauryn is begging for probation.   A judge will be merciful -- or not -- on April 22.

0423_celebrity_tax_problems_footer

dapedo

shes black shes screwed this is america people

Pookie

Does that work? I was scerrd so ain't paying uncle sam?

DM

I'm not sure I get it. Where is the inherent danger in hiring a tax accountant and calculating the taxes you owe? You could probably have an accountant fill out and pay your taxes while you were floating around the earth on the International Space Station. She could do it from a fall out bunker in some undisclosed location surrounded by minefields and German Shepherds. How exactly is her or her family placed in any more additional danger by paying the taxes she owes? I call BS on the "protecting my family" claims. This was either some political protest (that always works with the IRS) or she just didn't want to pay her taxes.

WHORUWHORU

i just dont understand why TMZ chose a horrible picture of her? like why...

eljeran

I heard Lauryn Hill was a huge whitey hater and wasn't ashamed to talk about it in public and loudly. Maybe a redneck got offended and retaliated.

Challz

I didnt even read the article... I'm just trying to figure out why you used that pic of all the pics you could have used.

BIGL

GUESS THEY WERE KILLING HER SOFTLY

ThePhlebob

"Lauryn's asking the court to consider a bunch of other factors before her sentencing -- including her claim that she can pay off the debt much faster if she's not behind bars."

"Can" and "will" are not the same thing.

Fat Matt

TO SOUPER... Best comment of this thread Award goes to you. I can't believe people are actually disagreeing. Actually, I can believe it considering the total idiots who permeate this site. They can be offended all they want, the fat cats who caused this countrys collapse ARE MOSTLY WHITE GODDAMNIT

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

For all the idiots commenting on her "racism"...

Welcome to 1996, doofuses! But you'll find another reason to spew grammatically challenged hatred in all caps, I'm sure. Don't suffocate under mommy's bedsheet, little fellas...

Mick

Mmmmm nice & sweaty.

truthmonger

Lauren, be woman enough to admit the truth. Your hardcore racist attitude destroyed your career, and it was also your racism that prevented you from paying your taxes. If I remember correctly, it was something along the lines of "not paying the white establishment" any of your money. The public hasn't forgotten your ignorant, racist attitudes and all those horrible statements that you made. I suppose you were indeed too stupid to realize that the majority of your "paying" fans were white. Silly, silly fool.

Craig

"I would rather have my children go hungry than have white people buy my music." Yep! Karma is real Lauryn. The Miseducation indeed!!

Nick

I was too afraid to pay my tax bill.... Man if it works for her, I'm never paying taxes again!

Anonymous

Is it me or does Lauryn Hill look like Marsha Warfield the lady named Roz from TV's Night Court

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments