New Nickelodeon Movie

Italian-American Org.

Demands Boycott

5/25/2013 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0521_nicky_deuce_article
Nickelodeon
is brainwashing your kids to think Italians are all bootlegging mafiosos and it MUST be stopped -- so says a pissed off Italian-American advocacy group, demanding parents BOYCOTT Nick's new flick.

The Italian-American One Voice Coalition -- a major national org. fighting against negative Italian-American stereotypes -- is peeved over the TV movie, "Nicky Deuce" ... set to bow on May 27th.

FYI :The flick is about a dorky Italian-American teenager who transforms himself into a mobster (to be cool, duh) ... just like his Italian-American uncle, who has mafia ties. Like "The Sopranos" with kids.

But One Voice tells TMZ ... this "trash television" is an affront to their culture, meant to "brainwash a new generation with an insidious and hurtful stereotype of Italian Americans."

"It is beyond reprehensible that Nickelodeon would so grossly abdicate any semblance of corporate responsibility and target young children with a biased, stereotypical movie."

They add, "We are appealing to all parents to not have their children watch this garbage."

Now here's the trailer. You decide ...

Paulina1982

The media does that with Every race & nationality.... So Italian-Americans are not being singled out... Next..

DTD

Come on, It's a kids movie.

rhbjorn

Hey it's just a kids movie forgetaboutit

Roman Moroni

The more u make a $itch over it - the more people will watch - duh

Chitwn96

Just a movie y make it a big thing !

rehabluvsme

If I was Italian, I'd rather people assume I'm a mobster, than ever assume I have the IQ level of anyone on Jersey Shore.

Mayu

oh please... Jersey Shore and Real Housewives of New Jersey are much more insulting to Italian Americans than some kid show.

Cass

I'm 100% Italian, half from Sicily and half from the north. These people are being dumb. It's just a movie, and I think it looks cute and funny.

Julia

1) We shouldn't promote a kids show that glorifies the mob or behaving like a mobster.
2) We need to stop perpetuating these Italian stereotypes! Studies show that 3/4 of Americans believe "most Italian Americans are associated in some way with organized crime."
(fact check:1999 F.B.I. Statistics, the total number of Italian criminals in the United States was 1,150 or approximately .0078% of the entire Italian American population.

source: http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/articles/m/o/s/Stereotype~_Most_Italian_Americans_have_a_Mafia_connection_5cf9.html

Jen

Have these people not seen 'Corky Romono'?

Stephen Kramer Glickman

James Gandolfini, Tony Sirico, Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa!?!? Why would anyone complain about a "Sopranos" reunion.

At least it's not a reunion of "Melrose Place" with Daphne Zu**** plays Jennette Mccurdy's mom.

Grant Show? More like Grant NO.

Karvey Kardashian

It seems people are confusing Sicilians and Italians again. The mafia was started by Sicilian guys, and a person with family from Sicily will say they are Sicilian not Italian. People with family from Italy will say that Sicilians aren't Italian and then mention that Sicily is not on the boot. I wonder if the organization is comprised of both Sicilians and Italians? Not that any of that matters, but it seems an odd think to get upset about considering Jersey Shore was on the air for several seasons. How much worse can Italians be represented than they have been by that show? Anything is an improvement after that show! Just to set the record straight about a common misconception, the movie Scar Face was not dealing with the Sicilian or Italian mafia! I heard some teenagers talking about the coolest Italian mob guy is Tony in the movie Scar Face. Kids say the darnedest things.

Karvey Kardashian

Odd thing even not odd think

Karvey Kardashian

Since tmz sucks and I could not reply to a comment below I am posting this here. Italians are Latin and their language is Latin in base, but you can keep being ignorant all you want by denying this fact. I had to correct a teacher on this point in high school and she tried to prove me wrong. She apologized to me after speaking to some of the oher teachers. Being Latin has nothing to do with the term Latino! Latino is the word that is being used for people in Latin America, but Latin and Latino are two different things! Not all Latin people should be called Latino, and the term Latino is mostly used in the USA. I'm sorry that you didn't realize this, but it is correct. Just make sure you distinguish between Latin and Latino when doing the research. I guess the fact that Italians speak a Latin based language was overlooked.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3