Joan Jett

I Hate Hot Topic

6/13/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0613-joan-jett-blackhearts-getty-hot-topic
update_bar
UPDATE 1:55 PM PT --
Hot Topic just sent us a statement, saying they hold several trademarks for use of the Blackheart brand ... some going back a decade ... adding that Jett's record company never had a problem before.

"Hot Topic, Inc. takes the rights of artists very seriously, and has in fact compensated Ms. Jett over the many years in keeping with mutually agreed-upon license agreements ... this lawsuit is a surprise to us, and we are confident in our rights to use the Blackheart brand name."

gray-bar-update
Joan Jett's got her panties in a twist over a brand new line of lingerie -- owned by Hot Topic -- claiming the risque undie line completely ripped off her "Blackheart" trademark ... as well as her style ... and now her record label's out for payback.

Blackheart Records has filed a lawsuit against HT, claiming the rock-n-roll retailer jacked the "Blackheart" trademark for its new Blackheart lingerie line ... which advertises itself as "lingerie for girls who rock and roll."

0613-joan-jett-blackhearts-website
Jett's record label insists Blackheart lingerie is blatant trademark infringement -- because Jett popularized the term "Blackheart" with her band Joan Jett & the Blackhearts ... and personally made the rock-and-roll chick thing mainstream.

Blackheart records is now suing for trademark infringement and more, demanding unspecified damages ... as well as an injunction blocking any further sale of the lingerie.

Calls to Hot Topic weren't returned.

Mikey

Doesn't say she trademarked the name for a clothing line.

seamus

No one cares Joan. Get over yourself.

Hollywierd_gurl

Really? REALLY?? This is just dumb.

whateveryou

I hope she's not one of these living in the past types. Memories are great but don't get stuck on them & don't define yourself with them.

Bryan

I hate hot topic also, too may emo kids shop there now.

HAHAHA

Style is always more expensive than talent isn't it...

FlamingoNut

I have to say, the first time I saw "Blackheart" and "for girls who rock & roll", I immediately though of JJ&TB and thought she had her own lingerie line. Guess I'm the minority.

Berserk

I've always adored Joan//Lita/Runaways, and this does nothing to change it.

Francie

Just because someone else thought of this clothing line first..... Joan does not own the rights to Blackheart EVERYTHING!! What kind of a nerd-ass name is Joan for a hard core rock chick anyway! lol

gloria

Poor Joanie!! That twisted and diabolical Hot Topic needs to be taught a lession You go get 'em girl!

KMM

Who's Joan Jett?

Az Heat

That store is for punk posers!

BB not bb

I also hate Hot Topic, but I don't know if she has a case. Blackheart is also the name of potato rot. People try to rip off the rock and roll style all the time. It is essentially a uniform any more. If they are not selling some specific outfit that she designed herself, I don't see how she can say they are ripping her off.

Hot Topic is very cheesy and cliche. It is just wannabe stuff. That is what it is known for. Wearing a black bra or black stockings isn't really unique to Joan Jett. It is like the uniform of some women at rock concerts.

If they are selling rock and roll refernced, blackheart named, clothing that resembles her style, maybe they are trying to suggest a connection. I don't know if that is enough infringement for a law suit.

romba

Wow, a strung-out old bitch wants a payday. I can't believe it.

Lee

Turns people into vampires which is why the store in South Park got burned to the ground by Butters and friends.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments