Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

jj

I find the whole family disgusting and this disgust has nothing to do with her using the N word.

dd

Damn it sucks to go to court.

wtf

she should have said "which N-word? are you a 5 yr old? what are you asking me? Which word have I ever used?"

Kowny Krush

So what?? Blacks use that same word among themselves constantly.

Madeline8265

I am white and we are now the mistreated minority. We are constantly under fire ad do not really have freedom of speech any more. The term "Politically Correct" is making me nauseous! We are called... Honky, cracker, Whitey, and these are the nicer names. The person she was answering to should have been asked if he has ever called another race one of the racial slants. This whining needs to stop. I don't give a #@&*)@!$ what anyone calls me because I know who I am. I am tired of people playing the race card. I have never owned a slave and I am not responsible for what my ancesterd did. Black people who lean on the race card and are whining about the way they are being treated are WEAK, INSECURE, AND SELF APPOINTED VICTIMS. Let this crap stop now and choose to stop being a victim!

Jay

Blacks us it ALL THE TIME! What a bunch of hypocrites everyone is! Blacks use the N word constantly, I've even heard female blacks using it, all hypocrites, it's so ridiculous, who the hell, why does anyone care?? So what? Again, all the blacks us it so it's okay, right? They don't want it used, then THEY need to stop, what a joke.

reece

People are trying to justify using the N-word. Truth of the matter is, it is plain RACIST no matter WHO uses it !!! You should feel ashamed of yourself every time it comes out of your mouth. For Black people to use it, it just shows the self respect one has for either him/herself or for their ethnic group, and he/she is no better than the BIGOTS out there who use the N-word in a derogatory tone of speech.

Danielle123

Oh please. When is the last time anyone used the term Honky, cracker or whitey. Give me a damn break. If anything, blacks (ESPECIALLY THE MALES) greatly accept other races ; even more so than their own. Whites are mistreated minorities my ass. Yet you have whites that still use the n word, then you also have immigrants that come here and adopt the "white way", with Hispanics, Asians (these two racial groups more open about it than any other) using it as well. Black people need to get it together and stop using the word too. But please believe, whites were using the word WAY before blacks decided to stupidly adopt it into their vocabulary, and whites would STILL be using the word regardless of the use of the word by African Americans.

wornoutmama

Hell at least she was honest. As a black person, I'm not offended by the use of the word from any race. I'm not defined by it, I'm not ignorant, so I don't care. And I really wish my people would get over it already. Sticks and stones people...

ITGrouch

Read the legal filing...it's a jaw dropper!

PP79

This is the most racist site.... I don't understand how ppl can be so hateful.. Crazy and sad....

Mee

THINGS WERE DIFFERENT BACK THEN
We just got our FIRST HIGH YELLOW PRESIDENT and DOGS AND CATS had to help elect him !!

TF02

Canadians

JuicyGaPeach

Who did Paula Dean call a Nazi? That's just rude! Those poor Jews have suffered enough. Leave it be, Paula. Have a nice glass of shut-the-****-up America!

joecrabs

I've heard Snoop Lion/ Dogg, Lil Wayne, Drake, Chris Brown, and Ice Cube say it. And that was just today.