Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Lisa Newlin

Oh Paula, you know so many different words, but when it comes to those that start with N, you're not so well versed. Here are a few other words you should probably become familiar with.

Jay W.

Everyone has said the "N" word. Just not out loud for some. ;)

Czechlegend

The fact that she is telling the truth means she is not racist. She might havea form of prejudice but everyone does. Theee are so many.other words we can use besides the n *****r word.

Jay W.

Redneck... offensive! Cracker or peckerwood... not so much.

Doc Y.

That's like asking a 15 yr old boy if he's ever masturbated and then said his answer was "SHOCKING". Gimme a friggin break.

Mulholland Drive

LOL Imagine her saying the "n" word when he held the gun to her head! LMAOOOOO! Seriously I bet even a black woman would tell the same story to her husband in the same accent as Paula Deen - " and then the "N" held the gun to mah head!" lmaoooo!

Pat

This woman is a PIG.

BSname

How is it possible at all to “Know a word” but never have used it. So you heard the word, or read the word, but didn't say it aloud? When the Lawyer asked the questions, did he actually use the word or did he use the PC “N-Word” in his question ? The B*L*S**T that some people are claiming on this thread is amazing.

Tami

I should've known she wasn't nothing but an old country redneck with diabetes! Go figure!

crsparks

Much ado about nothing!

Zarley

kepp em poor and stereotyped.KFC commercials never get it wrong .cry to the Colonel.

luv_it

She really needs to stfu..black,hispanic .nor white green purple..that word is nasty and no one should use it

jrcole

sorry but most people have said the n word in jokes or calling each other the name get over it people .now it seems some people are just looking for a reason to say racist

Cheryl

Everyone is a racist is some way..so who cares?? Love Paula wish she were my Mom

Sandra82

That Pink Pig is ridiculous.. lol white trash lol..