Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Emma

Eberyone has said it. if they havn't, theyre lying. Shes old and from the south. WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!

Kookla

Calm down people she used it back in the 60s when things were different

David

So what if she did use the "N" word. Blacks use derogatory words when referring to non-black people all the time. Blacks are more racist than anyone. But they seem to get away with it. But actually, we are all racist if you think of how comfortable we are with our own race and prefer to stay within our race. Blacks just like to complain and act like victims. Non-Blacks need to stop catering to their victimization mentality! Slavery was over in 1865!!! Don't don't say anything about how they treat other races with their pimping, do they.

Kookla

It's a horrible word and now days it should never be used

Major

If she was being honest she would have said, at one time she was racist or still is a racist.

HRH Prince Michael

While I detest the use of ANY racial epithet, I applaud Ms. Deen's honesty. Unlike the cowards who have long called Latino-Americans, "Julio" - always behind their back.
What about a 1/2 "Julio"? PURE Warrior...chumps.

The Declaration of 2008:
www.all4webs.com/q/f/love4yahweh
The Final Declaration (2009)
www.all4webs.com/x/w/all4yahweh
HRH Prince Michael of The House of David:
www.flickr.com/photos/72265268@N08

Major

If she was being completely honest, she would have admitted to being a racist past or present. If you use derogatory racial slurs your a racist, this includes but is not limited to black people.

lauren

whats the big deal???

jorpel

What is the problem sayin ******? in my country we say negro, no afro..whatever..

TheEric

How do you answer 'Yes, of course' to that question? I've never said that word. She is nothing but a fat, racist piece of ****.

Makeitlegal

She was telling the truth. Good for her! I've used the word too. I've also said other bad words - let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Barbarascy

And? At least she will admit it. Everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY has said something that is racist about somebody else. Considering how old Dean is my guess is she has probably had her moments with the N word. Back when she was younger African Americans were called Negroes and when they made the wrong people mad they got called the N word. She was being honest.

Dobby

Times were different in the 60s and even 70s. People don't understand that.

Andrew

All of the black kids in my school call each other the "N" word. If they condone it then who cares.

HRH Prince Michael

N.A.R.A.S., R.I.A.A., BMI:
"WE won't let anotha M****-F***** Elvis happen!"