Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Buggy

Big Deal -- that is what they are so what????

Lili

Darling Paula Is the N word. How do you think she learned how to cook Collard greens and make southern Mac and Cheese? She is just an ole, southern, country gal who has used the N word many times. However, now she may make efforts not to use it as much (due to the so called political correctness). Consequently, I am sure the N word is cohesively intertwined in her Georgia, southern lingo. I'm not mad at you Paula. You are who you are even though I would not use your buttery recipes.

Jim

Have any of these folks listened to any pop or rap stations lately? Even while in a shopping mall? Its perfectly acceptable for black folks to use the word and all of its variants in their music and towards each other but if a non white person uses it in the exact same manner and/or context, it is made an offense. How about this... EVERYONE STOP USING IT NOW and maybe have a bit of openmindedness regarding others past usages....
Have a nice day.

wolfcon

Seriously, she was a teenager in the South during the 60s. Of course she has used it. Than again I'm not easily offended and I truly don't believe she is racist.

Sue

Freedom of Speech

Bigmack10

Ignorance between church and state. #riot

anthony

of course paula dean is not a racist. she grew up in the 50s and 60s in the south. referring to people of african descent was part of the zeitgeist. what would have been shocking is if she had said "No, i've never referred to a black person as a N-word." She would have lost any credibility in this case. The whole court room would have immediately thought she was perjuring herself. Seriously? Is this even newsworthy?

Buck Boy

I would like to find out someday why the press ALWAYS refuses to enlighten us on the use of
the word ***GOT when used by Blacks.

Mary

When blacks stop calling each other the N word then we can all be outraged when we hear it. Otherwise stop being hypocrits when a non-black says it. zzzzzzzzzz

J.E.B.

Ya made a believer outa me, b---h.

nomad123457

since 99.99 percent of African American /black people are not from Africa or were never born there then even they should not be using the word.A member of a dark-skinned group of peoples originally native to Africa south of the Sahara.Anthropology. a member of the peoples traditionally classified as the Negro race, especially those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa. me personally I never use the word except to explain that no one in America is one or can claim to be one. except newly immigrated peoples from the African sub Saharan continent. or as my grandma would have said each generation calls each other by a different race specific to their generation. negro,black,african American. it is only racist if meant to be racist by the person using it in harmful/hurtful manner.blahblahblah means i'll shut up now.

gator

Who gives a rat's ass, say what you mean and mean what you say and if people gets offended then stay off the air.

Mike L

I've used it, I will continue to use it. Don't like it? I don't care. Am I racist? Possibly. I don't have issues with all blacks, but definitely with a portion of them. The ones that act like n*ggas, absolutely. Not the ones who act civil and like human beings though

lou

She needs to shut up. She is so phony

A1A

Name one white or black person who has not said the "N word". You can't and if you can they lied to you. Blacks speak profanities about all races and so do all races speak profanities about blacks. I really dislike political correctness, only N word people use it all the time when referring to each other, so if its okay with them then it should be okay for the rest of us.