Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

jed

Hey she is from the South
Every white person and Black person used it

Ojay21

She grew up in the era where is was okay with society to do so.. I'm black and still like her for not lying

Dave Van R

From my experience living in NJ you will hear it more out of the mouth of blacks than anywher else

Johnathan

OK, OK I get it!
But has anyone who reads these kinds of articles ever watched a program on "Adult Swim" called "The Boondocks"!? They use the N-word on there all the time! As a matter of fact, they sometimes bleep out the curse words, but rarely bleep the N-word!!!

Johnathan

OK, OK I get it!

Jim

Are you serious?? They actually asked that question?! I mean, who has NOT used that word??? Has anyone listened to any pop or rap music lately? I mean, in a store, a doctors office waiting room, while sitting at a red light from the car next to you? It is perfectly acceptable for a black person to use the word in music or conversation but nearly criminal for any non black person to have said it??? How about this: EVERYONE STOP USING IT from now on. And display understanding, compassion and forgiveness towards past use.
Maybe then there can be true Equality.

Kelly

She's a C word.

KellyH123

I call my friends *****! But don't use it in a racist way.

joeynkim

its only right to use the N-word when its appropriate , N-word is a Universal word now get over it .

Rick

Its real funny that ya turn on the radio and ya here it in rap songs, you open your front door and you hear the word used by many youths as though it is if, and, or but, and yet they want to hang her for admitting she has said it..........I am no racist either but the fact remains if evreyone BUT whites can say the word something is wrong!!!!!!

New Yorker

As a black person who's a fan of Paula Dean I find this very disappointing. I would have never thought she was a racist, but that's obviously what she is. I don't buy into her or saying she was raised a certain way or that's how things were, etc. Even as a kid you know that racism / racist comments are wrong so there is no excuse. I can live to be a million and I will never understand racism, it's sick and stupid.

ray

honesty, A tough concept isn't it

Foebia

Are y'all surprised? All whites are racism then they love to call blacks racist when they created racism to begin with. Whites know they are genetically inferior so they try to put their behavior on blacks and oppress blacks just for blacks don't see that being whites is recessive and really weak and there is nothing superior about being recessive on this planet. So whites are naturally racist, because they feel threaten by melanin they lack of and afraid of genetic annihilation which is inevitable for the white race,because the sun destroys them and their recessive genes. And that's a proven fact that most melaninated are the most dominant that's why whites fear of becoming the minority in the western world where they lied,scheme to rule over and karma is a bytch, because All these CME's from the sun coming to the earth will speed up the process. And blacks you should be getting unwesternized and stop believing in Y't's indoctrination when it comes to how u eat,think,religion,politics etc. The planet is changing and we should be changing our DNA but if you're on a lower vibration state u would not evolve like u supposed to. Stop eating the western foods,religion and lifestyle. Racism is really about genetic survivor of the white race and when blacks and others get this then they'll understand how the game is played. Your oppressors aren't going to look out for your best interest and I don't care what nobody else says, but this is the truth and been proven from the past and present to be fact. I bet blacks still support her.

NWBL

Every black hip-hop artist uses the "N-Word" as white folks are forced to call it. If black people don't want whites using it then stop promoting it. It is absurd.

ray

Honesty,A tough concept isn't it