Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

Amy

Paula is right. My grandparents grew up in the South and the "N" word was part of their vocabulary. Times were alot different in the 30's,40's,50's and even the 60's in the South. I didn't like the word, never used it and was disgusted by people who did.

Brianne

I'm confused... was she referring to herself using the "n" word, like, 50 years ago, or 5 days ago...??

joecrabs

So this white lady can't say ni**er, but young black men can sing and rap and call eachother ni**er all day long. Is that what we're going with these days? By the way, saying "N-word" is just like saying ni**er.

s.jones

Bull****. I'm from the Mississippi Delta, as Deep South as you can get, and I have never, NEVER said the word. Not an excuse.

Oppion11

Why can black people call each other the n- word..... How is that ok?

Oppion11

Now Paula is being referred to as the white women how is this any different than using the n- word .... It's 2013 get over it.... People are too sensitive

ihaveabrain

My Grandpa was born in the late 1800's in Mississippi and called all blacks the N-word. My husband was raised in Maryland and remembers segregated bathrooms and drinking faucets. I have been called a "cracker". The So.Cal black population call each other the N-word. It's not ok, but it IS in our society. You are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Shame on YOU!!

sweetz

Im from the hood n we call each ***** all day dont matta who it is white black Spanish if u a ***** then that's wat u r it's a different meaning for yhe way it's being used

Jay Kay

I'm almost 78 years old & I've never used that word. You are a bigot!

Badass2012

Redneck accent? Check.

Am i surprised she used the N-word? Nope.

Sincerity

Paula Deen's admissions "AREN'T SURPRISING"!!! Racist stereotypes are "DEEPLY INGRAINED" within "ALL CULTURES"!!! Was it "POLITICALLY CORRECT" for such "OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE" to be used in a "PLACE OF BUSINESS" -- NOT AT ALL!!! In the "DEEP SOUTH", there's not that much interaction between different races and cultures except when it involves "COMMERCE"!!! Paula Deen should have known such "UNPROFESSIONAL ANTICS" were going to eventually come back to "BITE HER IN THE AZZ"!!! The "RIGHT OF PRIVACY" one enjoys in their home "DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY EXTEND TO A PLACE OF BUSINESS"!!! I have somewhat "MIXED FEELINGS" about these supposed allegations. In many instances, employees will go along with the "INAPPROPRIATE ANTICS" of their employers as long as they "GET THEIR WAY". However, when the employer's "GENEROSITY" diminishes -- ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!! I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, if the "ACCUSER" in this lawsuit was initially being "JUST AS COMMON AS HIS/HER EMPLOYERS"!!! Make no mistake, loosely slinging around "RACIAL SLURS" does have "CONSEQUENCES"!!!

BR540

I am a 52 year old white male that grew up being called the 'n' word by my father. I grew up being told I was a 'n' word. My dad would be eighty years old if he hadnt died at sixty. He grew up in deep south Alabama now does his age give him the right to use the word much less call his own son that all his life. I refuse to use the 'n' word and only because it offends people of all races. You people (TMZ) need a course in racial diversity and should be ashamed of giving this topic for lack of a better word all the air time you did. You should have given the story nothing as it means nothing...people are gonna hate on others no matter what causes it. I'm personally sick to death of black this and black that...why the hell cant people just get along? That black TMZ woman made no sense at all with the a and the r that was the stupidest excuse for using the word I ever heard...ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED PERIOD!!! Bunch of dumbasses...

StPeteRickster

You guys slam us in Florida all the time, don't think you realize exactly how much change we've had to undergo in the last 50 years.

I am just under 50 and went to school that was segregated, at first. Being raised down here is part of who someone is and it used to be a VERY racist place.

Is it perfect now? Hell no, not even close, but it is better and continues to move in that direction.

We have a LOT of oldsters who will hang on to that prejudice until the day they day - is how it is.

I wound up going to a private Catholic School, where I learned EVERY black and Jew joke in the book. Am NOT proud of that. Am PROUD that I am NOT racist and have done my best to over come the crap we were ALL taught down here.

They asked if she ever used the n word and she answered honestly, and she is being slammed. If she said No, you'd have accused her of lying.

I WISH We were a BIG BLUE state like California and were really free, but you guys need to realize that YOU are the exception and not the rule.

You may be ahead in blazing civil rights for others, down here we still have a LOT of people holding on to the passed and they will until they die.

Wheels turn slowly, cut this lady some slack. Unless you got her saying something horrible and recently, let it go. It ain't helping anything, is OLD WOUNDS that need to heal....

jjlee

Nobody cried racism when Eminem used the "n" word in his old songs and Pitbull who is Cuban.

jj

Take ALL the Dean's OFF TV !!!!!!!!
They had their 15 minutes