Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

LMAO

It's a word! ******.
It's not a nice word - but going after someone that said it 25 years ago. Give me a break.

jennifer

It's true. It was no big deal back then. My brother and I would call each other that all the time...right in front of our parents, even. It was just like calling each other butthole.

Me

TMZ is racist! Always trying to stir the racial pot. What I hate the most, is that you'll delete any comment that calls you on it. I swear if I had your "undeserved" clout, all I would do is print stories about how racist YOU are. I believe it's one particular group of writers working for TMZ, who really, really hates White people! I wish the idiots who write these stories, had their name on the bottom of the column "Like regular entertainment news should. Must be nice to smear people, with no consequence. I know you'll delete my comment, just like always. BUT YOU HAD TO READ IT FIRST! TMZ RACISTS!!!

Sili'LilSkoolgrl

Great great granddaddy was a slave owner. She was told that granddaddy owned over 100 slaves on that show that digs into people's family history. She could barely muster a tear.
I bet granddaddy stuffed his face as well.

lottabodi

Actually I do not care about racism, it is what it is and will always be. What I do care about is the constant debate about racism while our the government and the rich keep voting in laws that keep the poor, poor and a womans body something that can be legislated by men. Racism is just a topic to keep folk divided and diverted while they rob us blind and make ridiculous laws that tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body.

R.Cortez

The South is a racist paradise. There are still restaurants discouraging African Americans from eating there and Red Neck Cops harassing people of color every chance they get. It's like a giant history theme park of how lousy it was in 1963. Paula Dean actually seems more righteous than apologetic to me. Some people just don't get it and never will.

mememeee

this is why we can't stand yaw! do you really have to wonder! THIS old bittch KNOWS it's wrong to use, but continues too! no excuse whatsoever!

gbtw

paula's in a tough spot on this one. she no doubt grew up in a racist world, and certainly using the n-word 30 years ago was pretty standard for that racist culture. i don't think it's fair to condemn someone under those cir***stances. sure, it's wrong, she knows it's wrong and doesn't want to admit it. i'd like to say she knows better now. hopefully she's more careful around the next generations in her family, and things will get weeded out. but, i'm sure her parents flung it around with a lot of hatred, like most whites down there back then. she can only do so much to clean up her act. i think it should all be kept in perspective, and dropped. it's not helping the cause by rubbing it in her face or in the news. it doesn't do much good to rub it in the south's face. let them try to become better people.

Alex Heise

It's shameful to put in a vote and see that almost 60% of 30K some votes think it's ok to be old and stupid, you figure with age comes wisdom and to learn from your mistakes, not to just make the same mistakes again! You can see with Paula, she has learned absolutely nothing in her years, only to justify her ignorance! Sad!

q

Don't worry she's probably a Democrat. lol

Trash

Racist comment from a black to a white still alive and well on TMZ yet you have built in filters to catch the words that offend blacks. TMZ are nothing but races baiters. This is why it is alive and well! Congrats!!

CyndiChainsaW

It's not ok. For her to say its ok is ridiculous. The world has evolved since using the "N" word. Paula Deen you are a pig. I hope you choke on a stick of butter.

f'dlikasoupsamich

I'm glad ya'll can call eachother that word & its ok. Stupid .....

Terri

I thought with age comes wisdom....clearly it doesn't.. What coming from the South and born 60 years ago excuse your behavior....I think not.

Fair Rodger

Q: What does Paula eat for lunch?
A: Lynchables.