Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes

Fam Disappointed in TLC

Over New 'Waterfalls'

6/23/2013 12:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

The family of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes' feels betrayed by TLC's decision to re-record "Waterfalls" with a Japanese pop star ... because no one even bothered to tell them.

T-Boz and Chili recently released a new version of the group's 90's hit -- in honor of their 20th anniversary . Instead of keeping Left Eye (who died in 2002) on the recording, they replaced her with Namie Amuro (think Britney Spears of Japan).

Left Eye's sister, Reigndrop Lopes, is extremely disappointed, telling TMZ, "I did not know about it until a fan posted it online. I mean it would have been nice if they would have given us a heads up before being surprised."

Reigndrop says her mom was shocked and hurt as well ... because she felt keeping Lisa on the song would have honored her daughter's memory.

Despite her disappointment, Reigndrop added she's alright with the remake ... if, and only if, it's only released in Japan. It's unclear if that's TLC's plan.

Ok, let's just enjoy the original ...

UPDATE: Reigndrop now says she's cool with the remake ... as long as

James25

Wow. I can't believe that Waterfalls is 20 years old. That was a fast 20 years.

morgan

Namie Amuro is wayyyyyyy better than Britney Spears.

morgan

I love Namie Amuro, but this addition is jacked up.

GBR

Namie ****ed that song up, and she is not the Britney Spears of Japan

Cig

I love Namie Amuro. She has some really great music. She can sing in English, but unfortunately she can't rap in English. But the Japanese audience won't notice this.

AreUCrazy

All the girls were young, 30, when Lisa died.. I'm surprised they waited this long to replace her. Lisa died in 2002.. I think they waited a very long time to deal with her death. I wish TLC all the best and I hope they make a great come back if that's the direction they want to go.

NICOLA

Not a huge fan of the remake

Ant

whats the point of recording waterfalls? They cant come up with a new song?

Suxtobehim

Not a fan of the new version. Namie doesn't add anything to the song. In fact I have a hard time understanding her. If other two members of the group want to move on with another member, so be it but I don't think this was a good choice.

Lee

Using her image or even a hologram would have meant money for Lisa's family in the form of royalties when Lisa is no longer here. The group should have done this a long time ago and at least given heads up to Lisa family that this was their intent at some point. However, they owe nothing to Lisa's family. They fail to remember that her death affected the other two as well both professionally and emotionally.

Athena

THE JAPENESE PERSON MOCKED LEFTEYE I HATE IT THE RAP IS LEFTEYES THING IT WAS MEANT FOR HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cece

It's called business.

Dustie

Namie Amuro is NOT Britney Spears of Japan, for crying out loud. She might be as popular/recognizable in Japan by comparison, and she's a popstar, but other than that there's no similarities.

Meanie

Who cares, they sucked, the song sucked and the new one will suck. Nuff said.

Lisa

Listening to that song reminds me when the hip hop/R n B community used to release good music. Now it's just trash.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments