'Glee' Star Cory Monteith

Found Dead

in Vancouver

7/14/2013 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0713-cory-monteith-getty

Cory Monteith -- who famously played Finn Hudson on the TV show "Glee" -- died early Saturday morning in Vancouver ... he was 31 years old.

According to police in Vancouver the actor was found dead in his hotel room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel around noon ... when staffers went to check on him after the actor missed his check-out time.

In a press conference, officials said the actor was "clearly deceased" -- and had been so for several hours -- when police arrived on the scene.

071413_cory_monteith_presser_launch

Cops say Cory checked-in to the Fairmont on July 6th and was scheduled to leave July 13th. It is unclear why he was in Vancouver, but cops did mention he's from Canada and visits often.

The night before his death, Cory was seen in his room hanging with friends, before hitting the town ... but came back early Saturday morning ... alone.

0714_hotel_splash
Cops say "it was not immediately apparent" what caused his death, but no foul play is suspected. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

A rep for the actor says they are "in shock and mourning this tragic loss."

As TMZ previously reported, Monteith voluntarily checked himself into a treatment center back in April, admitting he had substance abuse issues.  It was his second time in treatment.

Prior to that, Cory had been open about his problems with drugs. Back in 2011 he told Parade Magazine, his family and friends were so afraid he "could die" they staged an intervention. He was 19 at the time.

He explained that his drug use consisted of "Anything and everything, as much as possible." Adding, "I had a serious problem."

0713-cory-monteith-dead

Eons311

I am seriously sadden by this news. R.I.P Cory. :(

VictoriaGirl

So sad. "Hollywood" claims another young actor.( By hollywood, Im referring to the lifestyle.) Rest In Peace.

Twister77

So tragic. I just loved him on Glee. Every time I hear of another young person dying too soon, it just breaks my heart. RIP Cory.

Seattleite

This is very surreal.
RIP

CLOSETGOSSIP

I'm in shock! :'( RIP Cory.

firebaby

wow, that's terrible... i don't watch glee, but i know of him, through interviews and such, he always seems like a really nice guy... so young, it really is a shame... my heart goes out to his family, and those going through similar substance abuse situations...
RIP

natasha

so sad. RIP

Matt1701c

Damn this sucks. May he rest in peace. Major plot hole just developed in Glee. Sorry for saying that but it's true.

Virtual Insanity

He seemed like a nice, likeable person. I'm very shocked. I wish his loved ones comfort and send my heartfelt sympathy.

LadyN

This really upsets me. I liked that guy a lot. RIP.

Pastrysugar

This news has broken my heart. Poor Lea <3

Spottedfeather

Who ?

GG

WE ALREADY KNOW! Sorry, you're about an hour late, TMZ. Sleeping on the job? Every news agency, even the most obscure ones that you've never even heard of, have already run stories on this. There was even a press conference in Vancouver. What were you guys doing??

harate

Obvious publicity stunt for the movie "Pacific Rim"

honey bunn

Help me understand that when a rapper or singer die of apparent drug overdose the comments are so harsh with no sympathy or empathy for their struggle. This guy dies of apparent overdose and the comments are all r.i.p., so sad, praying for the family...etc.
Please help me understand!