'Glee' Star Cory Monteith

Found Dead

in Vancouver

7/14/2013 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0713-cory-monteith-getty

Cory Monteith -- who famously played Finn Hudson on the TV show "Glee" -- died early Saturday morning in Vancouver ... he was 31 years old.

According to police in Vancouver the actor was found dead in his hotel room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel around noon ... when staffers went to check on him after the actor missed his check-out time.

In a press conference, officials said the actor was "clearly deceased" -- and had been so for several hours -- when police arrived on the scene.

071413_cory_monteith_presser_launch

Cops say Cory checked-in to the Fairmont on July 6th and was scheduled to leave July 13th. It is unclear why he was in Vancouver, but cops did mention he's from Canada and visits often.

The night before his death, Cory was seen in his room hanging with friends, before hitting the town ... but came back early Saturday morning ... alone.

0714_hotel_splash
Cops say "it was not immediately apparent" what caused his death, but no foul play is suspected. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

A rep for the actor says they are "in shock and mourning this tragic loss."

As TMZ previously reported, Monteith voluntarily checked himself into a treatment center back in April, admitting he had substance abuse issues.  It was his second time in treatment.

Prior to that, Cory had been open about his problems with drugs. Back in 2011 he told Parade Magazine, his family and friends were so afraid he "could die" they staged an intervention. He was 19 at the time.

He explained that his drug use consisted of "Anything and everything, as much as possible." Adding, "I had a serious problem."

0713-cory-monteith-dead

Janet

such a tragedy he will be missed

mr.howell

I'm not a fan of 'Glee' but this is sad news..he was very talented,I wonder if it was a drug overdose?....RIP.

oh paleez

I'm hoping that it wasn't drug related but I'm a realist so I'll just say RIP and hope that everyone takes this as a lesson on the seriousness of addiction and the process of the addiction/recovery/relapse vicious cycle. 31 is too young.

Marie

RIP

alec baldwin

GOOD lets hope aids makes a stronger comeback and kills all the other ***gets like justin bieber and harvey #theworldwillbebetter

NOT ELMO

'Glee' Star Cory Monteith Found Dead in Canada..................R.i.P.

myopinion

R.I.P. died so young!

Gwendella

My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. I cannot imagine what Lea is going through. Rest in peace Cory.

Sili'LilSkoolgrl

Maybe the pressure of having to play a high school kid in his 30s got to him. Sad.

jessicajade01

So sad can't believe this happened hearts and prayer go out to his family and friends he was my favorite one in glee it wont be the same

DeeMaree

So so young. Heart breaking for his family. I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers for your comfort and solace. Cory will be missed.

Jeff London

R.I.P. Cory Monteith
Here he is performing live with 'GLEE' in London 2011

Jeff London

Cory Monteith performing live with 'GLEE' in London 2011 So Sad. R.I.P.

Scott Levy

Wow, I'm surprised he's 31. Looked more like 21.

Rebecca

I'm so saddened to hear this news. R.I.P. he was so very young and he was so talented it is really too bad. My prayers to his family and to his friends who are really feeling his loss in their souls at this rough time.
God Bless