'Office' Star

Sorry Jim, Pam, Dwight ...

I Didn't Watch the Finale

7/19/2013 6:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

071913_james_spader_launch
He was the CEO of Dunder Mifflin ... he terrorized Andy Bernard ... but former "Office" star James Spader tells TMZ he just didn't care enough about the show to watch the series finale back in May.

A well-dressed Spader -- who played Robert California on the NBC sitcom -- was hanging out at Comic-Con yesterday when he asked if he enjoyed the way the show wrapped up after 9 seasons on the air.

"I didn't see it," Spader revealed ... which is kinda shocking considering he was a major character on the show for all of Season 8. He was essentially hired to replace Steve Carell.

So why didn't he watch the finale? Was it a diss? Was he just really busy? Or, like the rest of America, did he just get bored with the storyline?

The U.K. finale was better anyway.

SarcasticSupermodel

He was part of the worst season of the show. As a matter of fact, his character was one of two that made it the worst season. I'm sure he's not proud of that.

brad

I'll always remember James Spader for that movie he did with Robert Downey Jr. called "Less Than Zero". He's been around for a long time like Robert and Charlie Sheen. They were like the prototypical 80s guys to me.

stu

No1 has watched anything James done since
Sex Lies & Video Tape.

Mayu

maybe he's like me and didn't even realize it had been canceled

AMY D

Well, he's not alone. That show got horrible by the time he got there. Thank goodness it's off the air.

Kelly

Quick question TMZ, why does the site get more and more bloated week after week? Are you aware the site has been sluggish in the extreme and at times will barely load?

Bridget

He is one of those actors that doesn't like to watch himself on screen. So there's your answer. At least that is what it says on his IMDB page. He was so good as Alan Shore on "Boston Legal". I miss that show. But his new one looks good. Hopefully it is.

Jimbo

Robert California....uhhh...not so good....

NE1

Actually the finale was good, but I can see why he thought it would be an extension of the two year funeral the show was before that. It must have sucked to have to be part of filming that too.

Barb

Hey, it was a job. You don't have to actually like your job. The original show with Ricky Gervais was so much better anyway.

Bobby

He was the reason the show jumped the shark. He was awful

Timetraveler

I love Spader as an actor thus I have seen almost everything he has done in film and on TV. His The Office stint was by far the worst material he has dealt with in the last 10 years. It's no wonder he didn't watch it. But I'm sure the real reason is just because he rarely watches TV. He is just not a TV watcher unless it is The Food Network or NGTV, at least that is what he has said in interviews. He prefers reading and listening to music.

MariJoy

AHHHH...James Spader - HOTTT guy from late 80s

JohnnyIgaloo

At what point did he say that he didn't care for the show? All I hear is that he didn't watch the finale.

speaka de english

he was the WORST character on the show. i was glad when they got rid of him.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments