Paula Deen

I Did NOT Dress Up Black Chef Like Aunt Jemima

7/25/2013 8:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0725_PAULA_DEEN_TMZ2Paula Deen is calling BS on a former chef who claims Deen made an African-American employee dress up like Aunt Jemima ... claiming the chef is crying racism in a pathetic money grab.

The woman behind the allegations is Dora Charles -- who ran Deen's kitchens for 22 years and helped open Paula's famous Lady & Sons restaurant in Georgia.

Charles spoke with the New York Times -- and claimed Deen wouldn't just use racial slurs in the kitchens, but wanted to dress up her employees as humiliating stereotypes.

Among the allegations, Charles says Deen tried to make her ring a dinner bell for restaurant customers ... something Charles felt was racially charged.

"That's a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day," Charles said.

Charles also claims Deen tried to make another black female employee, Ineata Jones, dress up in an "old style Aunt Jemima outfit" while flipping hoecakes at a dining station.

But Deen says ... she's not only confident Charles is making the whole thing up -- but claims on July 6, Jones signed a legal document saying she had never felt discriminated against and never heard Deen spout racial slurs during her employment.

Charles has not filed a lawsuit, but claims she wants to get her story out so everyone will know the real Paula Deen.

Deen's camp fired back in a statement saying, "Dora's complaint is not about race but about money. It is about an employee that despite over 20 years of generosity feels that she still deserves yet even more financial support from Paula Deen."

Of course, Deen has previously admitted that she used the N-word ... but insists she never directed the slur at any of her employees.

0626_PAULA_DEEN_HAPPIER_FOOTER

Lynn

My Grandmother rang a dinner bell or us grand kids did out on the farm and we are White. Get over yourself and stop the BS. The ONLY Racisim going on is coming out of the employees mouth. I Never had slaves, my parents never had slaves, my grandparents never had slaves NOR did my Great Grandparents. Get over yourself and start becomng a positive influence in our society instead of the drama filled money hungry people your are .

Arlene Williams

I think someone is out to ruin Paula Dean and they are using race as a vehicle. I have been in the work force for a long time and it has never taken me over 30 minutes to detect a racist . It took even lest time for me to look for another job.

Cheryl

exactly how is a dinner bell racist? most households prior to the telephone and electricity had dinner bells of some sort or another! That really is the dumbest thing I have ever heard..... as for the costoming... she fails to mention the context of the reason for wearing it. Was everyone wearing period clothing? That would not be racist! The truth is history really is not politically correct. You can't pretend it didn't happen. It made this country what it is today. and really I get tired of hearing about how the evil white people bought and sold them... Well really its not like the majority of slaves were stolen by white raiders and sold into slavery they were sold by the tribes to the Portuguise and Spanish. Whoe then sold them to the colonies. Why don't we ever hear how rotten they were! They bought and sold people, they wiped out whole tribal races, But hey those white folks are not even considered white they are considered latino. They get a pass. And hey what about those evil Asian cultures who bought and sold anyone they found left alive on ships they attacked! Slavery throughout history was bad... but it was limited to one race.

Shareemichelle

This entire board is OBVIOUSLY Paula Deen's supporters. BEWARE!

Michael

Dear TMZ and everyone - leave this woman alone. I don't believe a word of this crap!

tlmax

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

David

I think I will move to Europe, escaping all this black racist stuff. I guess it was a disservice bringing them here in the first place. It has caused so much chaos.

Bigturboweenie

She's obviously a racist. What more evidence do u need. Time for America to move off this bitch now.

Gina

BLACK PEOPLE ARE REALY STARTING TO GET ON MY NERVES ABOUT ALL THIS RACIAL ****

_DNP

I honestly believe this employee here is why...... Paula Deen wanted all black workers at a Wedding for a plantation style wedding. What's to stop her from doing this?

NJ

I would eat out Paula Deen and I am black.

Demi

She should just go be a Big Brother Houseguest where racism and bigotry are ok!

3Storms

Facts don't matter any more. The media is gonna keep attacking until they destroy her.

tewdeeq

I just don't get the dinner bell thing--is this suppose to be racist?

SoulRebel

NEWSFLASH RACIST AMERICA!

The rest of the world doesnt see black or white, they see DUMB A$$ IGNORANT ASS AMERICA!

Grab a diet coke, and smack some sense into yourselves.