« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joey Chestnut

DEFENDS RIB TITLE

Rebounds After Crushing Gyoza Loss

9/4/2013 12:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

090313_joey_chestnut_launch_v5
JOEY CHESTNUT IS BACK!!!

The greatest competitive eater on the face of the planet returned to form this weekend at the rib cook-off in Reno, NV and took FIRST PLACE ... edging out the guy who beat him in the Gyoza championships last month.

Like Magic vs. Bird or Ali vs. Frazier ... Chestnut bellied up to the table next to rival Matt Stonie and put down 13.76 pounds of ribs in 12 minutes at the 8th Annual Nugget World Rib Eating Championship at John Ascuaga's Nugget Casino Resort.

21-year-old Stonie -- who many consider the future of competitive eating -- came in a close 2nd with 11.2 pounds of rib meat.

Both men crushed the previous record of 9.8 pounds ... which was set in 2008 by, you guessed it, Joey Chestnut.

Thanks to our friends at Getaway Reno/Tahoe for the rib footage.

090313_joey_chestnut_gyoza_launch_v3

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

mrharrybawls2012

What a complete Spunk Trumpet.

exmar

only tmz quasi men, dirt bag fat slobs, awkward geek burger eating amoebas like gary trock and mike walters think this overeating douche is a cool thing. mike the kardashian bottom feeder and gary trock "too fat to se my c0(k"

alphatino48

Where's Kobayashi?!

BB not bb

Just looking at the picture of them eating like that makes me sick. It isn't a sport, it is more like tempting your body to crash. I wonder how healthy their livers are. I don't think eating like this is good for your internal organs. I can see this causing fatty liver disease or adrenal failure or something. Maybe it causes gallstones.

I don't think they should be allowed to drink water to help them slide down the food. They should have at least that break in place. I wonder how many of them go throw up afterwards. Wouldn't that be promoting bulimia as a sport? People go to the hospital and some die from that.

I think it should only count what they can eat sitting down and eating like a normal human. Eating like a horse on crack is gross.

stu

NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!
I would rather see another Kadashian story.

WendyB

At least get your facts right.....the Rib Cook-Off is in Sparks, Nevada, not Reno. And before people complain....yes, it does make a difference!

Phoebo

This guy was not even in the top 10 of competitive eaters until he started roiding.

lou